Spin 3 Sp314-54n-74a5 Overheat Problem

Umut09
Umut09 Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi i have a spin 3, when i play some games AA titles like nfs shift, CoD, nfs prostreet the degrees past 90 c and strat to cpu throttle. I want to know which laptop cooler I can use on this laptop.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

I've got the Spin 5 version which otherwise has pretty close to the same specs. My CPU runs at around 60C when mostly idle (like right now I'm just in a browser typing) and tends to be close to 90C when gaming. There is a heat sink on the CPU, with a pipe carrying the heat to the fan module, where the hot air is blown out the back. Anything that obstructs that air flow will result in higher temperatures. You will notice in the base view:

#2 is where the speakers reside and is also the intake area for the fan. #1 is where the fan exhausts. For a cooler to work well you will want it to be blowing into the speaker grill and not blocking the output.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,081 Trailblazer
    edited June 2023

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/35482-acer-spin-3-sp314-54n-review/

This review (i5 CPU) concludes: "The Spin 3 barely passes 40 degrees Celsius on the underbelly with games, so thermals are never going to be a concern". So you seem to have an issue with your brand-new laptop overheating to 90°C. Maybe you are overdoing the gaming? Did you increase the 2x PCIe SSD capacity or are they still the original 125GB? There are no heatsinks for the GPU or SSDs and the only 1 fan is very small so don't stretch the load to the limits. Here is a powerful 5-fan cooler:
    TopMate C5 Laptop Cooler is for 14" tablets like you have ($28), plastic, less than 1 kg.

https://www.amazon.com/TopMate-12-15-6-Gaming-Screen-2500RPM-Designed/dp/B01J18006K?tag=edit-tech-round-up-20&ascsubtag=01zLdFkrh8XFCL6MYtWOwq6

• billsey
    Answer ✓

I've got the Spin 5 version which otherwise has pretty close to the same specs. My CPU runs at around 60C when mostly idle (like right now I'm just in a browser typing) and tends to be close to 90C when gaming. There is a heat sink on the CPU, with a pipe carrying the heat to the fan module, where the hot air is blown out the back. Anything that obstructs that air flow will result in higher temperatures. You will notice in the base view:

#2 is where the speakers reside and is also the intake area for the fan. #1 is where the fan exhausts. For a cooler to work well you will want it to be blowing into the speaker grill and not blocking the output.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Umut09

I want modding heatsink and pipe so gpu will run cooler and thermal cooling pad for nvme2 ssd. But I have two questions:

1- Do I have enough space/room for adding a layer top of heatsink?

2- Can I change the cooling fan? If I change will it run with BIOS, is there any compatible fan with that laptop?

Also Thanks to you guys for replies.

• Umut09

And I noticed the same thing:

Fan exhausts is blocking by display, the acer logo is gettin hot when i do heavy stuff. I'm worried about plastic on there(maybe it will get harm due to high temps)

Sorry for bad English. Tryin' to learning it

• billsey

There shouldn't be any blockage of the fan exhaust by the display, there is a gap of several mm between the vent openings and the base of the display at a minimum. Unless you have something obstructing that area it shouldn't be an issue.