About upgrading the Acer Aspire TC-780 , I wanted to upgrade the MotherBoard.

Options
23kxFra
23kxFra Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter

Hi all, i wanted to know if i can upgrade my aspire TC-780 with the "latest" supported hardwares.

My pc specs:

Intel® Core™ i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz

Viper DDR4 16GB RAM 2666MHz (2x8)

Geforce GT730 2GB Video Card

220W PSU

I wanted to put these components:

Intel® Core™ i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz or Intel® Core™ i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz (I dont think the last one is compatible)

GTX 1660 Ti or RTX 3060 (I dont think the last one is compatible)

750W 80 plus gold PSU

The ram is 2666MHz and the motherboard can only support 2133MHz, I wanted to upgrade the MotherBoard too but i don't find any of them.

So, is it possible to upgrade my Aspire with these components? Thanks!

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you stay the earlier 6th generation Intel motherboard, then you should stay with 6th generation Intel CPU upgrade such as the i7-6700, You risk compatibility issues with i7-7700. The 9th generation i5-9400F should be incompatible.

If you upgrade to a 7th or higher generation motherboard, you can use just about any Intel or AMD standard DTX motherboard size. The case accepts both standard DTX or smaller microDTX motherboard that you probably have in there now. The DTX motherboards can have more expansion slots that the case can also accommodate. A motherboard upgrade will give you more GPU and speed options.

The biggest power supply that will fit the case is about 500watts. The following are compatible with your existing motherboard & case. The 500watt supply can handle most GPUs if you stay with the same 6th generation motherboard. The 1660ti should be OK with the old board.

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

This PSU should work and fit with this molex4pin-to-GPU8pin adapter. Has 3 molex connectors.

Check room available in your case with those listed for the PSU. 6 x 5½ x 3¼ inches

And a brief tutorial. https://www.newegg.com/insider/how-to-choose-a-pc-power-supply-buying-guide/

Jack E/NJ

Answers