Some questions before I buy the monitor

MidnightMan
MidnightMan Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

1) Is there SpatialLabs app to play bluray 3D directly?

2) How is the auto 2D to 3D conversion, decent or as bad as the similar feature found in 3D TVs?

3) I still have the Fujifilm Real 3D camera, is there way to show pictures captured by the camera?

Thanks!

Best Answer

• FatherCreamy
    FatherCreamy Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Answer ✓

If a perfect 3D Ultra game gets a 10, then I'd give most 3D Ultra games get an 8 or 9 due to some visual hiccups & ghosting in shadowy scenes. I would say that every 3D Ultra game I've tried is much better than playing in 2D.

a) I would give the 3D+ games I've tried anywhere between a 4-7, it's mostly a gimmick that sometimes works well with the right game, and many of them are plagued with visual issues due to using the in-game depth buffer for the 3D effect. Overall I wouldn't recommend buying a game to play it in 3D+.

c) 2D to 3D conversion is mostly a gimmick as well, and I'd give it between a 4-7. The 3D effect is usually mild and can be adjusted from 0-10, and the more you increase the intensity the more it "stretches" the current image around to fake a 3D look, which can be hit-or-miss. Some things look better with it on, but I usually leave it off when watching YouTube.

Answers

• katkit
    katkit Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter

Regarding 1): The SpatialLabs media player is not working for me, unfortunately. I am using "Stereoscopic Player", which works fine, as would any other media player capable of SBS output.

Regarding 2): It is the best effort of realtime 2D to 3D conversion I have experienced from any product so far, and quite capable in my opinion. This option was the main reason for me to buy the monitor, and I am satisfied. Don't expect wonders, however: this is a hard problem to solve.

Regarding 3): I am not familiar with the camera you mentioned. You can display SBS content as native 3D format.

• FatherCreamy

2) I think it's hit-or-miss depending on the content, and it's adjustable on a scale from 1-10. Sometimes content looks good at 10, but other times it has to be lowered to 1 or 2 to avoid looking hokey.

3) If you're able to put 2 images side-by-side and have it in full screen, then you can have SpatialLabs GO display it in 3D by changing the settings from "2D content" to "Side-by-side." In my experience with taking 2 pictures from different angles, the best results I got was when I started with 2 images with a 16:9 aspect ratio (to fill the screen), and then "squish" them horizontally to an 8:9 aspect ratio so that the 2 images are skinny (not cropped!) and sit them perfectly side-by-side. What happens when converting SBS content to 3D is that everything stretches horizontally, so the skinny images become normal (and normal images become wide). Unfortunately a lot of SBS content online isn't squished. 😔

• EgonEgo
    EgonEgo Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited June 2023

Since I just registered on the forums, it seem like I can't open a new post yet. That's why I'm using this thread to ask a question. I hope OP doesn't mind.

What I'm wondering is: do you need specifically Acer's glasses free monitor/laptop to use SpatialLabs TrueGame 3D, or can you use some other glasses free monitor. The thing is I just ordered Nubia Pad 3D glasses free 3d tablet that will soon support streaming of SBS content from a PC (games like Tomb Raider, etc.). It would be great if SpatialLabs TrueGame 3D's games would be supported as well.

• MidnightMan
    MidnightMan Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Could you give me some ideas about the quality I can expect?

On the scale from 1 to 10, let's say 3D Ultra game is a 10, what would you give the followings?

a) 3D+ game

b) Side-by-side 3D video from a good source (such as blu-ray 3D disc)

c) 2D to 3D conversion of 4k videos (from YouTube)

• FatherCreamy
    Answer ✓

If a perfect 3D Ultra game gets a 10, then I'd give most 3D Ultra games get an 8 or 9 due to some visual hiccups & ghosting in shadowy scenes. I would say that every 3D Ultra game I've tried is much better than playing in 2D.

a) I would give the 3D+ games I've tried anywhere between a 4-7, it's mostly a gimmick that sometimes works well with the right game, and many of them are plagued with visual issues due to using the in-game depth buffer for the 3D effect. Overall I wouldn't recommend buying a game to play it in 3D+.

c) 2D to 3D conversion is mostly a gimmick as well, and I'd give it between a 4-7. The 3D effect is usually mild and can be adjusted from 0-10, and the more you increase the intensity the more it "stretches" the current image around to fake a 3D look, which can be hit-or-miss. Some things look better with it on, but I usually leave it off when watching YouTube.

• SpatialLabs_WoW
    SpatialLabs_WoW Member Posts: 4 New User

honestly, the 3D ultra games look amazing. A better way to play games. It makes you wanna play more. As for the gaming 3D+ I'd say theyre ok but not a reason to buy the monitor. You want to play games in Ultra mode