64GB memory problems on an Aspire Nitro 5 AN517-41 laptop

AAnonymous
AAnonymous Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello,

I recently upgraded an Aspire Nitro 5 AN517-41-R2HB laptop (Ryzen 3900HX/RTX3080) from the standard 16Gb (2x8GB DDR4 sodimm) to 64 Gb (2x32GB DDR4 sodimm).

This is the ram kit: https://www.gskill.com/product/2/197/1540866339/F4-3200C22D-64GRS (2x32GB@ 3200Mhz, 1.2V).They were chosen specifically for the 1.2V low voltage, in order not to have problems with the lack of xmp profiles in laptops.

Before the RAM upgrade, the laptop worked perfectly. After that, it started behaving strangely.

More exactly, every time I turn it off or restart it, it starts with a lit keyboard and a black screen,and it just stays like that no matter how long I leave it and it doesn't start or boot into windows.

If I forcefully turn it off from the power button, it starts normally, with a delay of a few seconds.

What I have tried so far:

-I tried to start the laptop with only one 32GB ram module and it works perfectly, including restarts/shutdowns

-the ram kit is new and have been tested with memtest and aida64, they have no problems

-i upgraded the laptop to the latest bios version, 1.10 from Acer site

-I reseted the bios to default settings

In the end, I didn't get rid of the problem, the laptop works well only with a ram module, with 2 x 32GB it has the problems mentioned above.
With 64GB, I can't start the laptop unless I turn it on once, black screen, and forcefully turn it off from the button and press power again. It can no longer start after a power cycle of software restart or shutdown.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,893 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Your Nitro 5 AN517-41-R2HB does NOT work with 64GB total ram at 2x 32GB DDR4-3200MHz CL22 RAM (see this laptop memory SG specs above) this model Nitro laptop has 12 different motherboards, and all are specified at max 32GB ram!

The motherboard is not designed for such high ram capacity no matter what AN515-41 Nitro model you have, as Acer does not redesign the mobo specifically for your Nitro 5 AN517-41-R2HB model. Also, XMP and overclocked ram does not work in this laptop like the, this G.SKILL RAM CAS Latency of 22-22-22-52 is not suitable for your laptop, the suitable CL 22 RAM is at max 16GB DDR4-3200Mhz CL22 (see CPUz) at JEDEC #13 and #14 1600MHz at 22.0 and 24 and NOT like the G.SKILL at JEDEC 1600MHz #13 at 22 and #14 at 52 which is way too high.

The 32GB ram max (2x 16GB DDR4-32000MHz CL22) memory specs is for all these CPUs below as there are allot for the

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer

Hi,

The maximum memory supported by your model is 32GB, your CPU may support 64GB but the system is limited to 32GB, so I would suggest you use the 32GB module which works without any issues, return for refund or sell the other 32GB module.

Yes, I have seen some sites recommending 64GB but it may be JEDEC modules, I am not sure,

https://uk.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/acer/nitro-5-an517-41-r7fp

https://www.memorystock.com/memory/AcerNitro5AN51741R7EY.html#:~:text=How%20much%20memory%20does%20the,memory%20capacity%20of%2032GB%20Memory.

• I would test disabling fast startup in power options and fastboot to see if that solves the problem.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • AAnonymous

Thanks for your answer, but in your reply you mentioned 2 different and much lower tier models of Acer Nitro 5(AN517-41-R7FP and AN517-41-R7EY) and neither of them are identical to my laptop, which was mentioned in the first line of my post as Acer Nitro 5 AN517-41-R2HB.

I don't think that a laptop with Ryzen 5900HX + RTX3080 does not support 64GB RAM.But I can't find anywhere on acer what is the maximum ram supported by this exact laptop model, so maybe someone from Acer can respond?

Thank you, I tried what you proposed here but nothing changed unfortunately.

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer

I think the problem caused by the XMP profile in Gskill modules because there's no settings available to enable XMP profile in BIOS, however, you could try contacting Acer Support centre in your region and inquire, they may be able to help you.

https://www.acer.com/us-en/languages

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,893 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Your Nitro 5 AN517-41-R2HB does NOT work with 64GB total ram at 2x 32GB DDR4-3200MHz CL22 RAM (see this laptop memory SG specs above) this model Nitro laptop has 12 different motherboards, and all are specified at max 32GB ram!

The motherboard is not designed for such high ram capacity no matter what AN515-41 Nitro model you have, as Acer does not redesign the mobo specifically for your Nitro 5 AN517-41-R2HB model. Also, XMP and overclocked ram does not work in this laptop like the, this G.SKILL RAM CAS Latency of 22-22-22-52 is not suitable for your laptop, the suitable CL 22 RAM is at max 16GB DDR4-3200Mhz CL22 (see CPUz) at JEDEC #13 and #14 1600MHz at 22.0 and 24 and NOT like the G.SKILL at JEDEC 1600MHz #13 at 22 and #14 at 52 which is way too high.

The 32GB ram max (2x 16GB DDR4-32000MHz CL22) memory specs is for all these CPUs below as there are allot for the

• AAnonymous

Thank you Steve for the detailed answer, I would have liked to find such clear specifications on the laptop page as well, I don't think it was that difficult to write what the maximum supported RAM is, instead of letting people guess for themselves.

One last question - considering that the laptop works perfectly with 64 gb of ram once it starts,I can use it like this or risk breaking it?

• This computer should be able to run with 64GB of ram, see: https://nanoreview.net/en/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-5900hx
    Perhaps the problem is occurring, because these rams have xmp profiles.
    However, I would try reinstalling windows first, pressing alt+f10 before the acer logo, to see if that solves the problem.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Hello, good evening.
    Were you able to change the profile modules from XMP to JEDEC and actually test 64GB?

Acer Predator Helios 300 Core i7 9750H
    Sodimm DDR4 2666MHz 16 GB Sk Hynx
    Sodimm DDR4 2666MHz 16GB Crucial
    SSD 512GB Sandisk Plus
    SSD M2 Nvme 512GB XPG GAMMIX S11 Lite
    SSD M2 Sata3 128GB WD
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    -->>  Dicas para amenizar a temperatura durante Jogos — Acer Community  <<--
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Se a minha resposta te ajudou, curta o comentário e fortaleça com o Sim se possível!!

• n77nikhil
    n77nikhil Member Posts: 58 Devotee WiFi Icon

I have a AN515-45-R2GL and 2 sticks of this ram stick is working for me Kingston Fury Impact KF432S20IB/32

Have had no issues and runs at 3200 - CL20 JEDEC Profile. Had read about G.Skill memory kits have issues so went for Kingston.