Nitro 5 an515-54 no bootable device error

vysteria
vysteria Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

I've spent a lot of yesterday and today trying to figure out a solution to the no bootable device error that appeared yesterday morning. I've tried a lot of the stuff that's been suggested in a bunch of threads but no luck so far. Any suggestions?

I do however wish to add that I don't have a hard drive, at least, not to my knowledge anyways. Is my only solution to get one or is there another way?

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer

What does this mean "I do however wish to add that I don't have a hard drive, at least, not to my knowledge anyways. Is my only solution to get one or is there another way?" give us more details.

A "no bootable device" is either a faulty boot M.2 SSD that your AN515-54 has, as there are many issues why you get a no bootable device error. Your laptop has 2x M.2 SSD slots and you could have the boot drive in the wrong slot that could be damaged or Win-10 OS errors. Have a look at this guide "How to Fix a No Bootable Device Error on Windows 10" as this guide goes through, step by step why you are getting this error and options of how to fix these errors. If all the guides don't work, then its your M.2 SSD boot drive that is faulty or the actual laptops M.2 slot is faulty.

• vysteria

Tinkerer

The only reason I mentioned the hard drive was bc of the fact that a lot of the threads/guides I had seen on the issue had mentioned them. I hadn't touched any of the internals until the error appeared, and I was unsure of whether I needed to get one in order to fix the issue.

As for the ssd.. I hadn't even considered that may be the issue (tbf tho I barely know enough about the internals. I'll definitely have to look into it again in the morning. Thank you! This has def been more help than anything I've found so far!

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer

That is great, as you need to go through all aspects of whay your laptop does not recognize the boot drive. I've got a 16 months old Nitro laptop that is running 2x 1TB M.2 SSDs and a 2TB 2.5" HDD and it runs perfectly just to give you an example, as the majority of a no bootable device is caused by a hardware fault or a faulty boot drive, so be aware of that and check your boot drive out. let us know how you go and if are able to fix this problem. Good luck and hope I've helped you put.

• Hello! Before disassembling the laptop, please send a picture of the bios information tab. The ssd and hdd must be showing in this tab.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • vysteria

Tinkerer

edited May 2023

Bios info tab looks like this. I am still very new to this stuff so I have no idea where the ssd would appear

[Edited the content to hide sensitive information]

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 7,528 Pathfinder

If your laptop model is Nitro 5 AN515-54-5812 it should have a 256 GB PCIe SSD and Windows10.

The fact it is not showing any drive in BIOS means your SSD drive is bad. First try to change the SATA mode to AHCI by pressing Ctrl+S (Sierra) in the same screen you show above and change RST premium to AHCI. Save changes on exit and reboot with F2 again to BIOS, if you still don't see your SSD, Reset Bios to factory settings, last or 2nd last page.

If still no bootable device after the POST you have a corrupted or missing bootloader on the SSD, you can try to fix that with a Windows10 Recovery USB flash drive, if you never made one, borrow one from a W10 user and follow the tutorial below:

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/command-prompt-fix-issues-your-boot-records/

Alternatively, send/bring the laptop to Acer Services in your country to reinstall the system and check the SSD.

• vysteria

Tinkerer

The ctrl+s command doesn't work on that page. Though, I've already tried resetting it to defaults before creating this thread, which didn't seem to do much of anything. I can def try obtaining a recovery USB, though. I'm really hoping that I don't have to send it in anywhere considering it *just* returned from a repair very recently. I'll update the next time I can!

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 7,528 Pathfinder

Try the Ctrl+S it on all pages, can you change Sata mode RST to AHCI? If so it means the Crtl+S is already active in BIOS.

• vysteria

Tinkerer

I was able to change the sata mode to AHCI, though unfortunately no difference was made by it. Just to be sure I also reset the BIOS once more, but the SSD continues to not show up

• I suggest you try disconnecting the battery and ssds:

Then reconnect the ssds and battery, in that order.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • vysteria

Tinkerer

Just tried that, no difference was made. I went as far as to do it twice, I even swapped the ssd to the other slot and the error still appears.

• Why was the computer repaired? Do you have a way to test the ssds on another computer?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• vysteria

Tinkerer

It was sent out for a screen repair, nothing that should have impacted anything. I don't have any other computers that I could test the ssd on.

• Can you connect another ssd to the computer?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer