Can anyone tell me why my Gateway DX4870 has such slow WiFi download speed?

Options
jsavage
jsavage Member Posts: 4 New User

I just purchased a TP-Link 1900 smart WiFi router (archer A8) to replace my Spectrum router. I have a Gateway DX4870. It uses an outdated 802.11b WiFi driver, so I purchased a Wavlink AC 1900 wireless dual band USB 3.0 Adapter that uses the 802.11ac driver. Spectrum is my internet provider. I’m getting 300 MB download on my cell phone. My smart TV hooks up fine and my wireless printer, even though it is an older Epson, communicates with the new router. No problems. My issue is my computer’s download speed, a super slow 19-25 MB when tested with the same Spectrum speed test that I used on my phone. Other testing sites give the same results. Does anyone know if there is a solution to address this problem other than purchasing a new computer?

Thank you for any help.

Jason 😫

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,596 Trailblazer
    Options

Did you install the latest Windows Wavlink adapter V6.86? Does your Gateway have USB 3.0 support (I believe only 2.0), the settings for the Wavlink are not correct, both for the router and Windows7/8.

I recommend you install the old WIFI adapter back it has Dual band 802.1 a/b/g/n networking.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

Is the wireless adapter plugged into a USB 3.0 port or a USB 2.0 port? Just because the adapter itself is USB 3.0 doesn't mean it will run at 3.0 speeds if it's plugged into a 2.0 port.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jsavage
    Options

The wireless adapter, which is 3.0 USB, is plugged into a 3.0 USB port.

• Puraw
    Options

I recommend you install the old WIFI adapter back it has Dual band 802.1 a/b/g/n networking😉

• jsavage
    Options

There was no mention of the Windows Wavlink adapter V6.86 in the setup instructions. I found the windows 10 driver for the WL-WN693A5 on wavlink.com. I have not installed it yet. I don't understand your statement, "the settings for the Wavlink are not correct, both for the router and Windows7/8." I'm running Windows 10, and I didn't include any setting for the Wavlink adapter. My Gateway does have a USB 3.0 port on the back of the case.

With regards to "I recommend you install the old WIFI adapter back it has Dual band 802.1 a/b/g/n networking", the on board network WiFi card only supports the 802.11b driver.

• Puraw
    Options

Windows Wavlink adapter driver version V6.86, check the Wavlink Support page. I got that Dual band 802.1 a/b/g/n from Gateway for your model.