Bios update disaster takes away all bios usable options & grays them out plus "TCM or TPM" issue.

iNFekTiDWrEcKeDeM
iNFekTiDWrEcKeDeM Member Posts: 4 New User

Can anyone assist me in resetting my BIOS back to a working version that doesnt have all the settings grayed out on every page?

Plus the TCM/TPM says that it's CLEARED meaning, not there and empty.
Also I am unable to just F9 and reset it as none of these settings work, all grayed out or simply just don't work.
I managed to get the version number of the BIOS back to 1.1.8 from where it was stuck at 1.3.3, but it's still the same exavtly, all grayed out and missing the TPM/TCM thingy. (it coulda been 1.3.1, I might just be forgetting, but it had the current latest one in it, whatever one that is right now.)

I thank you ahead of time for taking the time to read my message and look forward to rectifying the issue with your help!

Best regards, Daniel.

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,240 Trailblazer

Flashing back an Acer BIOS/UEFI is not possible. I recommend bringing your laptop to Acer Services in your country to reprogram the EEPROM. A small service fee will be charged ($25 in the Philippines).

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,942 Trailblazer

What is your laptops model number, giving us bios version numbers mean nothing. With any bios that is stuck or greyed out there is a problem with the bios chip which is very unusual. Have you tried to reset the bios by disconnecting the bios battery and straight after taking the bios battery plug out, putting a paper clip into the mobo plug + and - pins to reset the CMOS, do that first and see if the bios resets? Otherwise, the bios chip (if its not damaged) needs to be reprogrammed completely with the CH341A Programmer V1.44-31-01-2022 software and tool, which you need experience and to know what you are doing to do a bios chip reflash, otherwise the bios chip needs to be replaced with a new one.

• iNFekTiDWrEcKeDeM

I'm sorry, it is the Acer Aspire 5 i7 12th Generation Intel A515-57-77XE

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,942 Trailblazer

Your Aspire A515-57-77XE does not have bios version(s) numbered like this: 1.1.8 or 1.3.3 or 1.3.1, 1 your laptop has bios version that start from version 1.05 to its last version 1.22, it has a 1.18 but where do you get these versions from like: 1.1.8 or 1.3.3 or 1.3.1, 1 from? Did you download the bios from the Acer Aspire A515-57 Drivers & Manuals page. Don't know what you did, but it doesn't look appropriate from what you are saying as this laptops bios needs to be completely reprogrammed, as you did something wrong.

• iNFekTiDWrEcKeDeM

Yes I'm very sorry, they are numbered the way you say is correct, I zoned out for a moment and got my versions mixed up with how another laptop I had here (an Asus) had it's versions numbered.

You are 100% correct with them being 1.05, 1.06 up to 1.22 which is the version it's using right now on my system.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,240 Trailblazer

I recommend bringing your laptop to Acer Services in your country to reprogram the EEPROM. A small service fee will be charged ($25 in the Philippines).

• iNFekTiDWrEcKeDeM

The fee is no problem but I really don't think the Airfare to the Philippines is going to be very economical at all, what with extra fees for this and that, fuel levies, baggage levies, etc, car rental upon arrival, plus at least one nights stay at a 4+ star hotel, preferably one with armed security, if the Philippines is anything like Bangkok, Thailand I would need the armed security at the hotel and probably everywhere else too, a friend of mine said he stayed one night in Bangkok and wished he never did, he went there to take his *insert other popular brand laptop here* to one of their service centers and got more than any old muddy river or reclining Buddha would bargain for.
    People kept following him around trying to get at his money, come here, and come there, money money money, and he thought the world would be his Oyster, yeah right, he had to scream at people, go back to your bars, massage parlours or this place, and to think, one night in Bangkok and the world's your oyster, he thought he even felt an angel sliding next to him, nope, NO SIR! It was not an angel sliding next to him, it was one of them there LadyBoys!!!!! And boy oh boy was it ever doing some sliding, slithering and sidled up to him like an old west gunslinger sidling up to a bar, My Lord!! ***** hey?
    Confucius say…. Man who go through Airport turnstile sideways, going to Bangkok!
    And also man who go to bed with itchy bum, awaken with smelly finger! Not to mention the man who stand on toilet, oh boy, he high on pot!

But anyhow, before I digress, I tend to get off topic slightly, not too too bad, just a touch off.
    So back to the issue at hand, so airfare is out and I don't think there is ANY Acer Service Center anywhere where I am at, Penticton B.C. Canada.
    But maybe there is someone near here that has an aftermarket eeprom re-programmer/programmer device or I could simply buy one somewhere online cheap, say a Chinese or Taiwanese shopping site? Then simply follow some fairly easy to understand instructions as I do have a moderate to the lower end of high computer understanding of things and can follow directions pretty darn good.
    Or just maybe there is some sort of EEPROM PROGRAM that can either run from DOS or WINDOWS 11. maybe even from a Rufus boot thumb drive?
    I'd be very willing to do something like that, if not only your self can touch on these possible options, but everyone that reads this and possibly sees something here that may work, or you have some idea of what I could try?|

I would sure appreciate your reply, from you @Puraw and from others reading this and I thank you!
    Best regards, D.