Aspire 7 Laptop (A715-42G), Random Reboots, Random stutters when watching videos

Xhance
Xhance Member Posts: 4 New User

Aspire 7 Laptop (A715-42G)

I always get this "random reboots" and "random stutters" when I'm using my laptop

this happens with AC or in BATTERY.

random stutters always happens when I'm watching videos.

random reboots usually happens when I press pause or play on a video, BUT, can also happen on many things like when I'm playing games.

PLEASE DONT BLAME GAMING AND I SHOUDNT BE STRESSING THE LAPTOP FROM GAMES CUZ IM NOT PLAYING SUPER HIGH END NEW AAA GAMES.
Lastly, I saw one thread about the same problem and the solution could be tightening the screw on my laptop. this could be due to the back plat not engaging with the laptop's switch for the backplate, (I don't know why this is necessary and I know you people will tell me it's for my safety). I have not tried this yet because of warranty.

PLEASE HELP ME.. THANKS

http://- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>9</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2023-05-17T15:10:39.0384876Z" />
<EventRecordID>14638</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>LAPTOP-CPV3TH0O</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
<Data Name="Checkpoint">16</Data>
<Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">2</Data>
<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">6</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">false</Data>
<Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>
<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2">6</Data>
<Data Name="LongPowerButtonPressDetected">false</Data>
<Data Name="LidReliability">false</Data>
<Data Name="InputSuppressionState">0</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonSuppressionState">0</Data>
<Data Name="LidState">1</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,075 Trailblazer

Connect external monitor with a HDMI cable and if the same problem with that monitor you have a GPU driver issue nothing to do with screws or other hardware..

You should restore your system first, type Create a restore point in the Search bar, Enter and select System restore in that window followed with a date.

If still crashing, uninstall all your display drivers (Intel and NVIDIA) with DDU in Safe Mode: and reboot.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000091878/graphics.html

• Xhance

I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the NVIDIA drivers a years ago.(I already have this problem from the moment I bought this laptop, Aug 28 when I bought it and got my 1st reboot after few days of using it)
    this is not an intel base cpu but an AMD. I already uninstall and reinstall the drivers for it.
    when I sort things out, Im gona try to reset my computer.
    I cant do it right now because of my job.

Please give this thread at least 3 months before closing, so that I can at least know if factory reset will fix this.

do I need a bios update too?

• Puraw

Are you having the same issues with an external monitor?

Did you uninstall the NIVIDIA driver with DDU in safe mode or just with Device Manager?

What BIOS version do you have the latest is:

• Date:2022/10/06
    • Version:1.10
    • Vendor:Acer
    • Size:6.48 MB

If you had this problem in August last year why did you not return it immediately to the retailer and demanded a new laptop? The Acer 1 year warranty is still running, why don't you bring/ship the laptop to Acer Services in your country for free repairs?

• Xhance

I have not tried using DDU and booting at safe mode to reinstall NVIDA yet.
    But I'm planning to do a full clean install to clear out everything, especially with the amount of bloat was installed by the seller of this laptop

Honestly, I did have plan to bring it back to the to the seller to check it out, the problem was I have to be out of town for like half a year at that time with my laptop. and I don't have the luxury to commute back and forth if ever I have to wait for them to fix my laptop. If ever, I better do it my self if its just software related.

I think I'm just gona bring this to an acer store and let them do the fresh format and BIOS update(I dont want to brick my laptop LOL)

I'm still gona upgrade my laptop to 16GB of ram anyway.

Gona do it maybe next week.

But can you give me the instruction on the BIOS update?
    thanks

• Puraw

Don't install GPU drivers just uninstall in safe mode with DDU, I sent you the instructions earlier, ignore the intel part just uninstall NVidia GPU driver. Reboot and let Windows install the driver.

Download the correct Acer BIOS zip file here:

https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.10_A_A.zip?acerid=638006218372958715&Step1=&Step2=&Step3=ASPIRE%20A715-42G&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=AAP_5

Make a new folder and extract the BIOS files to that folder.

There will be 4-5 different folders. Open the UCP folder. Right click on the R01-A4 application and select install.

• Xhance

I haven't upgrade my RAM yet
    I updated the Bios to 1.10

the download link you provided gave me a single file for bios update but it worked.

I did a fully fresh reinstallation using windows 11(reset this PC). I made sure it downloaded the latest windows installation instead of using the in-build windows installer.

afterwards, I installed DDU, boot to safemode, unistall the NVIDA driver 1st and then uninstall the AMD driver(using DDU).

after rebooting, I downloaded AMD's software - adrenalin edition, I only selected to install the drivers only and not the companion apps it have with it.

after rebooting again, I installed the NVIDA driver with out the Nvida experience.

It will be a very long time before I can notice any fixes. I will update again next month or if so I not, consider this as fixed.

Thanks for all of your help.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,562 Trailblazer
    edited May 2023

Just some info for you when you go to upgrade the memory of this laptop, as the below specs are from the Aspire 7 - A715-42G SG for your information, so to upgrade the ram, take note of the System Memory of platform specs and keep to those spec of ram modules and population of slots #1 and #2 only as shown below, and only use the Acer recommended ram modules listed below:

As the "random reboots" and "random stutters" can be because of shortages of hardware components within your laptop that are faulty like ram modules or SSD M.2 modules or even a USB port that has a component connected to it, which I experienced due to an old hub that was shortening out in the USB port of my laptop, so check that out also, as that happened in my Nitro AN515-56 and it drove me crazy until I discovered what it was, and once I disconnected that old hub, the laptop worked perfectly and hasn't rebooted since. Just a thought for you to check out

SSD drive interface for this laptop M.2 SSD slot is PCIe3x4 and Acer recommends these M.2 SSD end key M type drives:

• Twieg
    Twieg Member Posts: 1 New User