What is the best resolution for gaming on a 27-inch monitor?

Options
tomwoodsplus
tomwoodsplus Member Posts: 1 New User

I'm in the market for a new monitor for gaming and have heard conflicting information about the best resolution for a 27-inch display. Some say 1080p is fine, while others recommend 1440p or even 4K. I want to make sure I'm getting the best gaming experience possible without sacrificing performance. Can anyone recommend the best resolution for a 27-inch gaming monitor and why?

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    edited May 2023
    Options

What are you connecting this monitor to? Is it a laptop or a desktop, what GPU do you have and what games are you playing, as all this has a bearing on the resolution that you can get. The best resolution for gaming depends on the balance between image quality and performance, as well as the cost and compatibility of the monitor and the game. The most popular and affordable resolution is 1080p, which provides a high-quality image and works well with many games. However, some gamers may prefer higher resolutions like 1440p or 4K, which offer a higher image quality but are more expensive and may not be supported by all games.

Ultimately, no single resolution can be proclaimed as objectively best, and it mostly comes down to personal preferences and requirements. We would summarize it as follows:

• Choose 1080p if you value performance over visuals, that is, if you’re aiming for triple-digit frame rates. Other than that, 1080p is the best choice for those who are on a budget or just don’t want to spend more than they have to on a monitor.
    • Choose 2160p if you want the best graphics you can get and can afford it.
    • Choose 1440p if you want a good, cost-effective balance between performance and graphics.

Keep in mind, though, that if you have to choose between a 1080p and a 1440p/2160p display and you don’t care about frame rates, always go with a higher resolution. That way, you would be getting a monitor that’s more future-proof, so even if your current GPU doesn’t perform so well in a higher resolution, you won’t have to worry about upgrading the monitor once you upgrade the GPU further down the line.