GWTN156-12BK remote client that keeps hacking into my computer that I use for business

evontoo
evontoo Member Posts: 1 New User

MODEL NUMBER - GWTN156-12BK

I just purchased this laptop from Walmart not even a month ago and now it has several different problems including some type of remote client that keeps hacking into my computer that I use for business.I would like a brand new computer not a refurbished one ASAP.it also shows it's running of the windows NT SYSTEM AND THAT IS NOT WHAT I SIGNED UP FOR.

[Edited the content to add issue detail to the title]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 7,998 Pathfinder

Your Gateway should come with Windows 10 in S mode, check in System Information what Windows version is installed.

You are left with Amazon for all after sales support, Acer seems to still be the owner of the Gateway brand—but I believe EVOO is doing the importing, and Bmorn is doing the manufacturing.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,858 Trailblazer

The Gateway 15.6" FHD Ultra Slim Notebook Model: GWTN156-12 has the following specs and all the faults that your experiencing you should either contact Walmart (as this laptop is excluseveley available at Walmart) or contact Acer/Gateway support in your area and get them to sort it out, as your laptop is under warranty. These are the specs of your laptop and also you can upgrade it to Win-11, so try the Win-11 OS upgrade, as its the latest and safest OS from Microsoft and will work better.

• Windows 10 Home (S mode)
    • AMD Ryzen™ 3 3250U Processor with Radeon™ Graphics
    • 15.6” LCD IPS Display, (1920 x 1080)
    • Tuned by THX™ Audio
    • Built-in Fingerprint Scanner (Windows Hello)
    • 128 GB eMMC Storage
    • 4 GB Onboard RAM
    • FREE Upgrade to Windows 111 (when available, see below)

Upgrade: Device comes with Windows 10 and a free Windows 11 upgrade or may be preloaded with Windows 11. The Windows 11 upgrade will be delivered to qualifying devices late 2021 into 2022. Timing will vary by device. Certain features require specific hardware
    (see aka.ms/windows11-spec).

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer

Yes, Walmart has contracted with Acer to get the machines at a lower cost by doing all support themselves. That you have allowed someone access to the machine remotely isn't an issue that they will likely fix for you though. Run a decent virus scan (your antivirus should have been installed and running by default, which would have blocked that type of access) to get rid of the malware.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.