New Replacement Acer Chromebook CP713-2W-36LV Not Charging

Susandawn
Susandawn Member Posts: 24 Troubleshooter
edited May 2023 in Chromebooks

Hi, a couple of months ago I was asking about my Chromebook CP713-2W-36LV & the not charging problems I was having. 3 weeks ago Acer ffinally sent me (aan upgrade?, I was ttold) new Chromebook CP713-2W-568T & it now has the same problem, no longer charging! The S/N XXXX SNID NX.NX.HQBAA0021XXXX come up with No Results! How can this happen twice? Is this Chromebook also prone to ththis same issue? I've done everything, tried plugging it into several different sockets, used different Charging Cables & both ports! Have done all the other suggestions from the last one & it's totally dead! The charging light comes on but it's not charging. Should I try to use 2 charging cables at the same time or would that be overkill? Please, someone respond & help me, Thankyou, Susan

[Edited the thread to add model name and to hide sensitive information]

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

I've left my Chromebooks plugged in for months or years at a time without issues.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer

The charging light comes on but it's not charging.

Wait for charging light to turn from steady orange to steady blue before trying to turn the laptop on.. This may take up to 24 hours if the battery was allowed to discharge below the 5% critical level. The battery may fail if allowed to drop below 5% critical level too many times.

Jack E/NJ

• Susandawn

Thankyou, I believe it hasn't turned to blue but I'll certainly try it again for 24 hrs. It was plugged in by the time I saw that it was at 1% but it never charged beyond the 1% then unfortunately 1 of my Grandsons unplugged it so it died completely! Will let you know if it works, thanks again, Susan

• JackE

If it doesn't turn blue after 24hrs, the battery's own internal charge controller has probably detected a cell failure. When this happens, the controller won't allow charging to avoid a possible fire hazard. Best to replace the battery.again and take care to avoid allowing it to drop below the critical 5% charge level before plugging it in again.

Jack E/NJ

• Susandawn

What's this about? It looks like you're advertising instead of helping or am I misunderstmisunderstanding your response?

• Susandawn

JackE, so far it's 20 hours & the light is still orange! What really upsets me is that I don't think that Acer is going to honour this new one, I have had it for approx. 3 weeks, I'm so upset! I don't have money just to send it back to them & then pay for any repairs!!! He'd said that the Warranty would continue with the original one but I got this replacement, so called upgrade, the day after the Warranty ended! Any other suggestions? Obviously I'm extremely frustrated & upset. Thanks again, Susan

• JackE

Should be 24 hrs by now. Try to turn it on while plugged in. Then see if you can read charge level by hovering over the battery icon in the tray.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer

Is there a chance the original charger isn't working right? If you are trying to charge it with a phone charger, even though the USB-C connection is the same, it will take a really long time, since phone chargers don't put out as much current. You need at 45W charger to charge it in a reasonable amount of time.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Susandawn

Thankyou again JackE, I'm extremely upset as it's just not charging! I'm a widowed retired Senior without any pension so just don't have the funds to send this one back & pay for the repair! I just want my money back but I don't know what else to do! What's the chance of getting 2 lemons in a row!!! If you can think of absolutely anything else please let me know! Only good thing about all of this is that I've learned many tricks for different computer situations.

• Susandawn

Thanks for responding Billsey, I only use the charger that came with it. I did try other chargers just to see if they'd work but didn't. I've tried several sockets, cables, plug in on either port, absolutely anything that we can find to do! I didn't call them Friday but will Monday, it's extremely upsetting. Thanks again, Susan

• JackE

Can you read charge level by hovering mouse over the battery icon in the tray?

Jack E/NJ

• Susandawn

Hi, it doesn't charge enough to even try to do anything. The motor doesn't run either, it's 100% dead! Thanks for responding, Susan

• JackE

The charging light comes on but it's not charging»»it's 100% dead!»»

Does the charging light turn off when you try to turn the laptop on plugged in?

Jack E/NJ

• Susandawn

The charging light stays on I tried to start it normally & then by pressing the Esc & Reload & Power like instructed to do on my original one, light stayed on both times.

• JackE

How can this happen twice?

Were these machines always plugged in while tuned on?

Jack E/NJ

• Susandawn

Usually plugged in but I also tried when it wasn't plugged in, tried everything that we could think of. I've got it plugged in with another charger &going to leave it for awhile to see what happens, my guess is that won't make any difference but I'm crossing my fingers, toes & eyes, LOL, Thanks, Susan

• JackE
    edited May 2023

but I also tried when it wasn't plugged in,

When they were working, were they ever left turned on and unplugged till they ran out of battery and/or shut off by themselves?

Jack E/NJ

• Susandawn

Hi, sorry I didn't respond, I just saw your response. I always put it to sleep but once I saw it was at 1% I kept the charging cable in. Unfortunately 1 of my Grandsons unplugged it & that's when it totally died!

I'm just now trying to get the nerve up to call Acer, I hope that they'll show compassion & help me, I just can't afford any repairs & since it's not my fault then I don't think that I should have to pay!

Thanks again, Susan

• Susandawn

I've just spoken with Acer & they are going to pay for shipping & extended the warranty from the original Chromebook to July 5/23. So hopefully 1 repair will work! Thanks again for all of your assistance & if you wish I'll let you know what happened?

1 quick question, what is the longest period of time that you can keep the charging cable in place? Since I couldn't get the charge above 1% I'd left it plugged in, any chance that I could have ruined the battery? I don't think so as it wasn't charging above 1% in the 1st place. Just the Tech. said something but I didn't understand it. Thanks, Susan

• JackE

Hi, sorry I didn't respond, I just saw your response. I always put it to sleep but once I saw it was at 1% I kept the charging cable in.
    Unfortunately 1 of my Grandsons unplugged it & that's when it totally died!

This is bad for the battery pack. Once charge level drops below the critical 5% charge level, the battery pack may be ruined and not recoverable. This happens is to avoid battery fires. Try not to let this happen again. Keep the charger plugged in whenever possible. And stop using the machine if the level drops below the critical 5% level. Good luck. Thanks for reporting back.

b

Jack E/NJ

• Susandawn

Thanks for your assistance, I don't like any of my appliances to go under 10%.

Luckily Acer is paying to have it shipped to them & extended the warranty to July 5/23. Cross your fingers that it's repairable or we come to a mutual agreement. This has been extremely stressful.