My experience as a Nvidia 3D Vision User.

Options
Ouch2late
Ouch2late Member Posts: 22 Networker

As an Nvidia 3D vIsion fan I was very enthusiastic about being able to play the latest games in 3D on a 30+ Series Nvidia GPU. The initial experience of loading up a 3D+ game was underwhelming. I felt instant regret for purchasing this display. The quality compared to a 24-inch 1440p TN 3D-Vision Ready display was shockingly bad. The colors are dim and the image is blurry in comparison. The loss of tracking (especially in a dim/dark room) is also frustrating and feels like a downgrade even though I understand the trade-off for a glasses-free experience. For Games in 3D-Ultra it is a completely different experience. It is equivalent or superior in every way to an officially supported 3D vision title. The problem is that there is only 24 titles to choose from leaving me unable to experience the games I really looked forward to on this beautiful 4K display.

Speaking of the 4k display. While excellent in terms of color and uniformity it is simply overkill. Using my RTX 3080 I've been unable to come close to 60FPS at 4K in a 3D ultra title. Dropping the resolution to 1440p fixes this but in doing so I have to ask what's the point of paying more for the 4k vs having a 1080/1440p display?

Game compatibility is an issue. I subscribe to Game Pass and own some games there as well as Epic/GOG/Steam however some games only work if purchased from specific stores mainly Steam. This is another point of frustration. I don't want to buy a game twice just to try it out. The list of games is already so limited that you should not further limit it by narrowing the compatibility to certain stores.

It's my first 24hrs with the display so I haven't yet determined all the value I can extract from it. My hope is that Acer will not abandon this tech and release 4 or more 3D Ultra grade titles per month. I It would be nice to have a mix of new/popular AAA and Indie games.

Best Answer

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

that makes more sense then and explains why i was always underwhelmed

Also boo at not working wih gamepass, i wonder why :s

Answers

• Leostat
    Options

how well does the 3D effect work with 3d vision titles? My only experiance with it was with a really old 3D tv and it was always a tad underwhelming with the "depth" of the image

• Ouch2late
    Ouch2late Member Posts: 22 Networker
    Options

The difference between the 3D you get on aTV doing 2D to 3D conversion versus a 3D Vision game viewed on a 3D Vision kit/ready monitor is a worlds difference. It's difficult to put in words. It's like you're not viewing the same content. 3D vision will have significantly more depth a common description is a dollhouse effect which really doesn't mean much unless you've seen it before

• Leostat
    Answer ✓
    Options

that makes more sense then and explains why i was always underwhelmed

Also boo at not working wih gamepass, i wonder why :s

• 3DFan23
    3DFan23 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Thanks for your post! I myself am a huge fan of nvidia 3D vision. When I heard about this monitor I was pretty hyped to transition to a more modern 3D setup due to lack of support now for 3D vision. I hope as time goes on the tech improves and we have access to more games. I wish I had a place to demo this monitor and see it for myself in person, I guess I will just have to buy one eventually and take the plunge and see if the hype is real. I just bought a new alienware OLED monitor and kind of regret it wishing I had been patient to buy this product instead! I love 3D gaming and hope they release this tech in OLED. I did see them demoing a laptop with OLED 3D tech. Maybe in the future they will release a similar panel with OLED technology.

• 3Determined
    3Determined Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options

Firstly, YES, do not advertise games that have compatibility or license issues, I literally seen Atomic Hearts and it closed the deal on me purchasing this…now knowing the game pass version is not compatible. Honestly where is the info or the disclaimer on this…legitimate false advertising. That said, one other thing; Crash Band… 4; I struggle to see the 3D+ in that game…if it wasn't for God Of War and my hopes for more like this, I would have sent the device back and gave the tech more time and a greater catalog…and honest catalog at that. The best comparison for what this device can do in both 3D+ and Ultra 3D is Days Gone (3D+) for the cardboard but depth example and of course as I mention GOW for the Ultra 3D…awaiting the Days Gone Ultra with fingers crossed. With enough time spend on this device I can say it delivers when it delivers and really does make good on attempting to convert and use 3D+…but saying you can play a game that you already have, (subscription is still paying) and you can't unless you purchase it again…get real! That said, if the links all take you to Steam on their page, have them step up with a partnership and lets get these 3D Ultra conversions going…then I will purchase twice. Oh yeah @Ouch2late this is me agreeing with you…

• Tooth
    Tooth Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options

Can't really fault them for not supporting Gamepass…those are UWP apps. 3D Vision doesn't hook into those either. Hoping for an expanding list of 3d-ultra games for sure (and advise to disable the spatial labs go 'escape' canceling the 3d effect!!! So annoying for 3d to quit when you're entering menus)