Thank you for 2 replies - sorry but my WinXP/Mozilla Firefox does not allow me to type any message..

Victor77
Victor77 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Cannot type?xx

Best Answer

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 11,365 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

tHANK @Victor77 anything here we will be.

All the best.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (Twitter)

Answers

• Victor77

Tinkerer

cannot use site

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,077 Trailblazer

To browse online and join forums, etc., you really need a W10-11 browser like Brave or Edge, older browsers like Internet Explorer and old Firefox versions are no longer accepted (not compatible). If your Desktop is not upgradable to W10 you need to get a newer system like a Windows11 laptop and keep the desktop for offline work and games.😉

• Victor77

Tinkerer

Thanks again. I do inhabit other Forums withoput problems. Your one is more difficult. Users of WinXP and Win7 still exist. It's a shame that they are disadvantaged.

• Victor77

Tinkerer

I managed to type in some text (not visible as I type and no chance to correct or edit though. InInvisible type!!!

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,430 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    edited May 2023

If you find the secret to fully edit or delete a post, let me know.

I have an Updated WIn11 and use Chrome.

You can edit somewhat with the edit button but to delete totally is impossible.

I just edit (quickly) and say my bad as I posted in error.

9 LETTERS is very IMPORTANT.

They have now extended the EDIT to 1 day by clicking the star in the upper right of your post as I'm doing NOW

• Victor77

Tinkerer

Thanks Larryodie, My main problem is that when I type in the "Leave a Comment" area, I see nothing whatsoever. It's like using an invisible font!

• Victor77

Tinkerer

As fort editing, when I click on the star, the text disappears compltely. I have no idea why my typing is invisible. It's torture writing this way without seeing what you are writing and no chance of correcting typos!

• Victor77

Tinkerer

I have writtenn thioI have written half a million e-mails and letters in my time, but never without being able to see what I am writing at the necessary moment and then after posting, I finally see what I wrote but full of typos

• Larryodie

Clear all of your caches would be a though BUT you're working with non-supported WIndows. Why not move on and update to the 2023 standards ?

• Alejandro_AC
    edited May 2023

Hi @Victor77 try this compatibility plugin:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/legacy-browser-support/

Thank you.
    All the best.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

X (Twitter)

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,077 Trailblazer
    edited May 2023

These very old Windows versions, phased out by Microsoft, use outdated network protocol, severely susceptible being infiltrated by malware, viruses and hackers, are therefore no longer supported by most online hosts (security concerns).

Trying to use these old platforms with extinct browsers on modern online newsgroups and forums like Acer and then complain about the host performance is disingenuous😐️

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,665 Trailblazer

For Windows XP there aren't a lot of choices for browsers, and the browsers that are old enough to still support XP don't know how to handle modern websites…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • billsey

You might also try changing the colors for your browser, if that's supported. Likely you are seeing either white on white text or black on black.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Victor77

Tinkerer

Dear Forum Members,

Thank you all for writing to try to assist me.

Now, I can at last see what I am actually typing! I printed off the Acer Aspire generic manual of over 50 pages in colour.

With the Forum working for me, I am in fact using exactly the same Browser "Mozilla Firefox" but this time I am using it with a different (but still an older) system, "Win7 Home Premium" and this appears to work on your Forum in the normal way. Thus, it may not always be necessary to use Win 10 or Win11.

I gather that the Acer TC 705 i7-4790 does not accept Win11.

As for e-mails, I simply cannot easily depart from WinXP as it operates with Outlook Express 6 where I have computer-stored thousands of e-mails many with attachments of "Word", "Pdf" and picture files (Bitmap or Jpg). These e-mails are not web-based like Google. As you'll know, after WinXP, Outlook was used not Outlook Express. NB. There is a way to still use Outlook Express 6 on more modern systems which is on the Web but I suspect that Win10 would keep trying to negate it! It works with Win7 but I am not sure if the backlog of past messages can be imported.

As I mentioned, I have used many Forums but I have never seen one where the text is invisible with the text becoming visible only after the message is actually posted which is what I was getting resulting in garbled and typo-ridden errors.

My existing old Acer Desktops are 7600GT and 7700GX (slightly faster), which a friend kindly gave me (and to which I added many extras or improvements). I use the latter as my main computer running WinXP Pro with Outlook Express 6. This computer has the 400,000 odd e-mails stored in the Folder structure (which I can preserve using the Canadian programme "Express Assist 7" (but the clever programme no longer can be activated from version 8 upwards as Mr Alan Price, the inventor, has since retired).

I am almost 78 years of age now and first used a computer at the age of 57. Still, on Saturday, I will be collecting an Acer TC 705 i7-4790 with Win10 installed to try out and explore which will no doubt see me out. I will then try to access the Web etc via Ethernet cable. I may well have some questions for your kind advice. I installed the additional plug-in suggested though I got some complicated message so I don't know if that worked or not.

I like old things - I don't change my car every few years. I like the old songs etc.

Thank you very much.

Regards, Victor. 12th May 2023.

• Alejandro_AC
    Answer ✓

tHANK @Victor77 anything here we will be.

All the best.

X (Twitter)

• Larryodie

Good Luck Victor 77.

I think that you can import your outlook e-mail to gmail but maybe give it a try and also you may run into a gmail memory limit, So experiment with your new computer. Good Luck and BTW I'm a few years older and enjoying keeping everything up to date BUT I do drive old cars and keep an old 2000 Dodge Caravan running that has dents all over and only one back seat for my Puggle to ride with me in "His Ride"

Here is the possible import.

How do I import Outlook Express into Gmail?Import the downloaded Outlook email file into your Gmail account.

1. Click on your Gmail account in the left-hand menu of the Outlook app to select it.
    2. Go to File > Open & Export > Import/Export > Import from another program or file. ...
    3. Select the backup file and wait until the import is complete.

• billsey

Actually it's not that hard to move all old emails form Outlook Express on XP to Windows Mail on newer OSes. Take a look at this link for suggestions.