Acer spin 5 upgrade to Windows 11 issues " we couldn't update windows reserved partition"

Behruoz
Behruoz Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited May 2023 in Swift and Spin Series

Hi. I can not upgrade my spin 5 to Windows 11 because the bios 1.10 on my system does not let booting by USB ( to install windows using flash or DVD) and also windows installation from inside Windows 10 also gives message" we couldn't update windows reserved partition". Can you please help me?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,467 Trailblazer

You don't say which Spin 5 model you have. There have been a lot of them over the years. Your full model number is usually on the same sticker as your serial number, it should look something like SP5xx-xxx-xxxx. Your BIOS should allow booting from USB, but it is usually better to upgrade from within Windows so all your apps and data stick around after the upgrade. My guess is that your EFI partition is too full. Use Disk Management to look at the partitions on the drive and show us a picture like this one:

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,939 Trailblazer

Have a look at this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/-we-couldn-t-update-system-reserved-partition-error-installing-windows-10-46865f3f-37bb-4c51-c69f-07271b6672ac

If you find the procedures above too complicated or afraid you won't be able to boot anymore, Clean Install W11 with a USB and ISO file with this comprehensive tutorial:

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/clean-install-windows-11.99/

If the bootable USB is not detected by BIOS, check the USB stick if it is USB2.0 or 3.01 and is in the corresponding USB port of your laptop, check the USB drive on another PC if it is detected by BIOS.

This link discusses other issues why BIOS is not detecting your USB stick:

https://www.easeus.com/backup-recovery/bootable-usb-drive-not-showing-up-or-recognized.html

• Behruoz

Tinkerer

Many thanks for all of you for replying to my question. However, my laptop is Acer Spin SP513-54N. I also send you screenshots of my system and Disk details. Also when I try to install from inside Windows it seems that boot section is out of reach of Windows which caused the error as already told and I attached agin send the screenshot. Also in BIOS only booting from hard disk is accessible and so no option to update using USB. However, I once more thank you for your kind help and support.

• billsey

OK, temporarily give that 100MB EFI partition a drive letter using Disk Management so you can look at it with File Explorer. Navigate to the EFI\Microsoft\Boot\Fonts folder and delete the files that are there. Then go back into Disk Management and remove the drive letter for that partition. Reboot and try the upgrade again.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Behruoz

Tinkerer

Hi and thanks for your reply. Actually Disk management has no access to that EFI partition so no way to give it a name or browse it. Thank

• Behruoz

Tinkerer

As you can see in attached screenshot, no option is available for EFI partition and so all the options are pale grey.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,939 Trailblazer

I suggest that you bring/send your laptop to Acer Services in your country and ask them to upgrade it to Windows11 22H2. There will be a small service fee of $25 (in the Philippines). When your laptop is on W11, backup your boot drive to an external backup drive and create a W11 USB Recovery flash drive.

• billsey

Try running Disk Management as Administrator. If that doesn't work you can use diskpart from an elevated command prompt to do it.