Acer Predator XB240H Connection Options I would be able to use 144hz

Options
fuvjbk
fuvjbk Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited May 2023 in Predator Monitors

Hi all,

I recently purchased an Acer Predator XB240H gaming monitor and have had trouble accessing the 144hz functionality. So far I have been using a cable with two HDMI ports, and I was wondering if I got a DisplayPort adapter for one side of the cable I would be able to use 144hz? I would buy a cable with two DP ports but my gaming laptop only has HDMI and C-Port options. Please let me know what my options are and if my above suggestion would work in achieving 144hz.

Thanks in advance,

EJ

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

Answers

• fuvjbk

Tinkerer

Options

In case it's needed, I have an NVIDIA GPU.

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,776 Pathfinder
    edited May 2023
    Options

is the maximum refresh rate you currently have is 120Hz or something else? Did you try to create a custom resolution in Nvidia Control Panel?

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • fuvjbk

Tinkerer

Options

Currently I am on 75Hz as that's the highest that I was able to go through the NVIDIA Control Panel. When going any higher, the error message I get is 'input not supported'.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

What laptop do you have? Which version of HDMI does it support? An HDMI to DP cable won't give you any more functionality than the HDMI cable itself gives you, and it's likely gated by the laptop.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • fuvjbk

Tinkerer

Options

I have a Dell G15 Ryzen edition, and I’m not too sure what version of HDMI it supports although it’s a very new model so I’d assume the newest one. Rather than a HDMI to DSP cable (which I’ve already tried only for no input detected), I thought I’d get a male HDMI to female DSP adapter to make my laptop the DSP output, as far as I know DSP —> HDMI is not a bidirectional connection.

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,776 Pathfinder
    Options

@fuvjbk so it only works up to 75Hz with the HDMI to HDMI cable?

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • fuvjbk

Tinkerer

Options

Yes, 75Hz is currently the maximum. If I use the same HDMI to HDMI cable and make my laptop a DisplayPort output using an adapter, would I be able to display 144Hz then?

• billsey
    Options

So Dell specs say your laptop has an RTX 3060 in it and the HDMI port is 2.1, It should handle those frequencies without an issue. Your XB240H however is eight years old and these are the specs:

So HDMI maxes out at 76Hz, to get 144Hz you need DP to DP or DVI to DVI. I'm not sure which XB240H model you have, which ports are populated on it? There should be some subset of VGA, DVI, HDMI and DP.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • fuvjbk

Tinkerer

Options

I have a HDMI port, a DVI port, a VGA port and a DisplayPort. I think it’s the 2014 or 15 model? I also have an RTX 3050 in my laptop, not a 3060 if that makes any difference.

• billsey
    Options

So to get the higher frequencies you are going to need to connect using either DVI or DP, and with the laptop it doesn't have a DVI port. Use the DP from the laptop to get the higher refresh rates.

• fuvjbk

Tinkerer

Options

I bought a DVI to DVI cable and a HDMI male to DVI female adaptor for my laptop. Should this work? I do not have a DisplayPort port on my laptop.

• fuvjbk

Tinkerer

Options

As it turns out, the DVI to DVI cable (with the adapter) did not work, as I must not have gotten a DVI-D Dual-Link cable in particular. Before I explore other options, would a C-Port to DisplayPort cable display 144Hz? If it works I could also purchase a HDMI male to DSP female adapter and then a DSP to DSP cable, but would much rather purchase just one C-Port to DSP cable if it works as they're a lot cheaper.

• fuvjbk

Tinkerer

Options

Before I explore other options, would a C-Port to DisplayPort cable display 144Hz? If it works I could also purchase a HDMI male to DSP female adapter and then a DSP to DSP cable, but would much rather purchase just one C-Port to DSP cable if it works as they're a lot cheaper.

• billsey
    Options

No, anything that goes through HDMI at either end will only provide the HDMI levels.

• fuvjbk

Tinkerer

Options

So would C-Port to DisplayPort work? If not, what are my other options? My laptop only has HDMI and USB-C outputs.

• billsey
    Options

It depends on the DP version your laptop can send over the USB-C port. If it's a high enough version then you should get the full 144Hz using a USB-C to DP cable connected to the DP port on the monitor.

• fuvjbk

Tinkerer

Options

These are the specs for my processor. As the DisplayPort version is 2 and USB Type-C DisplayPort Alternate Mode is supported, the USB-C to DP cable should work, right?

• fuvjbk

Tinkerer

Options

Is there anyway for me to use the HDMI port on my laptop, whether it’s through adapters and/or special cables and still achieve 144hz on the monitor? I think the USB-C port on my laptop only utilises the integrated graphics available on my computer, which will not suffice for optimal performance.

• fuvjbk

Tinkerer

Options

Does DisplayPort version matter for this monitor or should it support 1.4? Just curious as it is an older model.

• billsey
    Options

No, the HDMI port has builtin limitations, and those are carried through whatever adapters you have on it. The monitor should have specs for what resolutions and frequencies it supports.