Acer x4630 PC only boots to POST and I then have to press F1 or DEL

TrubbleMaker
TrubbleMaker Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Also, RAM only works in single channel mode. In dual channel, I get a a continuous high pitched noise.

Thoughts?

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

So spec says it should work as you have it installed, yet it does, albeit with the error that requires a key press to get past POST. My guess is there's a motherboard issue. :(

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 11,409 Trailblazer

Hi @TrubbleMaker can you tell us the exact model? in a Veriton?
    What version of Windows do you have installed?

Thank you.
    All the best.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (Twitter)

• TrubbleMaker

Tinkerer

X4630 FACS MODEL

Windows 10 Pro

• billsey

Continuous beep is a memory failure. Are you sure the second memory stick is working and the right specs? There are a couple of different model series that might be an 'X4630', is it an X4630_52 or a Veriton X4630G? The first is from 2014 and uses either DDR3 1333 or 1600 memory, the second is actually a bit older and adds 1066 DDR3 to the list.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • TrubbleMaker

Tinkerer

Hi Billsey

The label on the computer reads: X4630 FACS MODEL

This is an original PC unchanged from day 1.

Each RAM stick works individually in each slot. Both RAM sticks work in single channel. Both RAM sticks make the beeping sound when set up in any dual channel combination.

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 11,409 Trailblazer

@TrubbleMaker I understand then that both modules worked correctly before. Please try to clean the module contacts with a pencil eraser and clean the slot grooves carefully with a small brush and/or blowing air.

Thank you.
    All the best.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (Twitter)

• billsey
    edited May 2023

OK, I don't get any hits with the X4630 FACS MODEL, but I'm still assuming you have a Veriton X4630 or Veriton X4630G model, the only difference should be whether it shipped with a GPU card. Here's the memory info:

You are using two 4GB sticks so they should be installed in slots 1 and 2, the white slots in the image.

• TrubbleMaker

Tinkerer

Hi billsey

As stated above, I've tried all the combinations and right now the computer the computer ONLY works in single channel (DIMM1 and DIMM3).
    Right now, I can live with that but my bigger issue is that the system stops at POST and I then have to click on F1 to continue (or press DEL to enter the BIOS).
    I've does a BIOS reset and that hasn't helped.

• TrubbleMaker

Tinkerer

Hi Alejandro

As stated previously, the RAM is not the issue as each stick works in each slot individually but NOT IN DUAL CHANNEL mode.

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,432 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon

Are you saying now that you have to stop and click on F1 with a reset BIOS (Not dual channel mode) ???

AS Billsey illustrated, You need to be using DIMM1 and DIMM3 , the whit connectors

I am confused .

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,432 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon

Search on System in the task bar search box and see how much RAM that is being recognized ?

• TrubbleMaker

Tinkerer

I thought I clearly stated the twofold problem:

Problem 1: RAM only works in DIMM1 & DIMM3. In DIMM1 & DIMM2, I get a a continuous high pitched noise.
    Problem 2: When the system starts up (using DIMM1 & DIMM3), it stops at POST. I then have to press F1 to continue on to Windows.

Ram being recognised is 8Gb

• billsey
    Answer ✓

So spec says it should work as you have it installed, yet it does, albeit with the error that requires a key press to get past POST. My guess is there's a motherboard issue. :(

• TrubbleMaker

Tinkerer

Pretty much what I was thinking… 😕

Thank you for your time. 🙂