Fingerprint sensor behaves like a swipe sensor on TMP 214-53 running Fedora

abdunnafialif
abdunnafialif Member Posts: 3 New User

Recently I bought TMP 214-53. I've installed Fedora workstation latest version on it. The fingerprint sensor behaves as if it were a swipe style fingerprint sensor. When I try to enroll a new fingerprint it asks to swipe a finger across the sensor. After enrollment if I try logging in with a fingerprint it fails to recognize more than 95 percent of times. Which makes it impossible to use comfortably. Is there any way to fix this problem?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer

Unfortunately I don't believe Acer ships this model with Linux pre-installed, so they haven't done any Linux specific drivers. You could contact the Fedora developers to see if they are planning on updating the drivers.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • abdunnafialif

This model shipped with no OS. Only boot-up. The vendor from where I bought, their website listed the OS as "Linux". They actually meant the boot-up cmd type operating system which was most probably FreeBSD.

• billsey

Yes, it looks like Acer shipped versions to several locales that just had the EFI shell, no OS. The end user is expected to install their OS of choice, but only Windows is actually supported by Acer. What did the Fedora folks say? It's likely their implementation of the drivers that's using it as a swipe sensor.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • abdunnafialif

The linux folks say that the maintainer of that specific driver can do something if they edit the code. So I'll have to wait for that.

Actually I came here to check if there is any driver from Acer or not. Because I found on the internet some other companies are providing drivers for these types of fingerprint scanners. If Acer doesn't support linux then my only way is to wait for the linux community to update the driver.

• billsey

Yes, Acer typically doesn't go through the extra effort of maintaining drivers for OSes they don't ship with the product so your only recourse is to work with the developers.