Acer Aspire TC-885 Upgrading Graphics Card Is my Acer in its current configuration able to utilize.

Telescopist
Telescopist Member Posts: 3 New User

Machine: Acer Aspire TC-885/Win Home/i5-9400/12GB RAM/UHD Graphics 630 Display. Recently Adobe Lightroom added a powerful new tool called "Denoise" As you may already know it is a resource hog and overwhelms the graphics card in the Acer. For example, It took 6.5 minutes to render an image using Denoise. This is a known issue. The solution is to upgrade the graphics card with something like a GeForce RTX 3060 Ti. This graphics card utilizes something like 200 watts of power. Is my Acer in its current configuration able to utilize this graphics card?

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and issue detail]

Answers

• Telescopist

I've very little experience getting inside a PC except for things like migrating from a HDD to an SSD or adding RAM. So, you are reasonably sure that a 600 PSU will fit and so will the RTX 3060 Ti?

Thanks for your help.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

They shipped your TC-885 model with one of several power supplies, and they are rated either 300W or 500W. You should be able to figure out which is there by looking at the numbers and model number on the supply itself. If you have a 300W supply you can typically go with an x030 or x050 card from Nvidia, if you have a 500W supply you can up that to the x060 or x070 cards. Which you choose is going to likely be based on your wallet. You can choose also to upgrade to a larger PSU, yours uses a fairly standard ATX form factor. Measure the case dimensions for where the card will fit in to make sure the card you choose will fit. You need the dimension from the front slot to the back of the case and from the top of the motherboard PCIe slot for length to the side of the case for depth. You have plenty of width…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Telescopist

Thank you for your detailed explanation. After getting an earful on the Lightroom Queen forum about how AI is draining 'stock' GPU's, and more bad news, I've decided to build my own computer! There are a few really good YouTube tutorials on the subject. I will need something like a 650 watt power supply to run, say for example, a Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti. So, I think it would make more sense to work with a grouping where there is a known compatibility ie: Motherboard, RAM, Storage, CPU/Cooler, Case, and GPU.

In my head is this repeating tune: 'Were off to see the wizard…"