Left USB port of Helios 16 is not working

Options
Whamy22
Whamy22 Member Posts: 34 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

I added 16 GB ram and 1TB SSD. Now my left usb port is not working. any fix? thanks

Best Answer

• Whamy22
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Problem solved. I remove the battery, ram, and ssd. I also switch the ram. I unplug CMOs to reset the BIOS. I am not sure which one fix it. I think it is BIOS error. First BIOS of helios 16 is buggy. restarting on eco mode caused BSOD. Power surge error also occur before but I fix it with reset, and it should not cause power surge error because it is a keyboard. So I think BIOs did not adapt to my upgrade. Anyways, Thanks for the guide though. CHeers! Still hoping for BIOS update so that the issue will not occur next time. My BIOS is 1.05. latest as of april 30

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,971 Trailblazer
    Options

Make sure that the USB device is compatible with that port (USB 3.01 won't work in a USB 2.0 port)

If this is not BIOS related I would uninstall all drivers in Universal Serial Bus Controllers and reboot.

Restore to an earlier date (Create a restore point>System Restore) may help. If restore fails you can try to restore in Safe Mode (keep the Shift key down while clicking on Restart). in Safe mode open the Command Prompt and type: rstrui.exe

• Whamy22
    Options

I already did the uninstall. problem still persist. Now there is power surge on usb port warning. Even no device plug-in. still persistent notification every second. Even reset butoon on power sugre warning won't solve the problem

• Puraw
    Options

Sounds like a HW problem possibly related to the SSD/DDR4 upgrade: Was the battery disconnected first from the MOBO before you did these upgrades?

I recommend that you bring/send your laptop to Acer Services in your country for repairs.

• Whamy22
    Options

Yes I disconnected the battery first before installing the ram and ssd

• Puraw
    Options

Good, it won't be a busted MOBO then, more likely a bad USB port connection. Let Acer Services look at the problem or learn to live without 1 USB port, it may start working again with a new major Windows upgrade😉

• Whamy22
    Options

yup It could be windows or BIOS. I will just wait for update for now

• Whamy22
    Options

Problem solved. What I did is remove battery. remove both ram and ssd. unplug CMOS for BIOS reset. And it works. So I don't really know what fix that. I think it it BIOS. Firts version BIOS of helios has some bug on power making BSOD upon restart on different performance mode. The power Surge error also occur before but fix upon reset. But this time I need to do things to make it work. Maybe it did not adapt to the upgrade, well I am not sure. Thanks for the guide though. cheers.

• Whamy22
    Options

Problem solved. I remove the battery, ram, and ssd. I also switch the ram. I unplug CMOs to reset the BIOS. I am not sure which one fix it. I think it is BIOS error. First BIOS of helios 16 is buggy. restarting on eco mode caused BSOD. Power surge error also occur before but I fix it with reset, and it should not cause power surge error because it is a keyboard. So I think BIOs did not adapt to my upgrade. Anyways, Thanks for the guide though. CHeers! Still hoping for BIOS update so that the issue will not occur next time

• Whamy22
    Options

Problem solved. I remove the battery, ram, and ssd. I also switch the ram. I unplug CMOs to reset the BIOS. I am not sure which one fix it. I think it is BIOS error. First BIOS of helios 16 is buggy. restarting on eco mode caused BSOD. Power surge error also occur before but I fix it with reset, and it should not cause power surge error because it is a keyboard. So I think BIOs did not adapt to my upgrade. Anyways, Thanks for the guide though. CHeers! Still hoping for BIOS update so that the issue will not occur next time

• Whamy22
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Problem solved. I remove the battery, ram, and ssd. I also switch the ram. I unplug CMOs to reset the BIOS. I am not sure which one fix it. I think it is BIOS error. First BIOS of helios 16 is buggy. restarting on eco mode caused BSOD. Power surge error also occur before but I fix it with reset, and it should not cause power surge error because it is a keyboard. So I think BIOs did not adapt to my upgrade. Anyways, Thanks for the guide though. CHeers! Still hoping for BIOS update so that the issue will not occur next time. My BIOS is 1.05. latest as of april 30