I have extensa 215-53g and i am wondering how do you guys deal with fan noise ?

MON808
MON808 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter

I just wanna watch a chill youtube video but my fans starts to work like i am doing some heavy work. Its just a video. Not even 4k. I know i cant compare but how can i watch a 2 4k video on my phone at the same time and no issue but with my i5 laptop its gotta work the fans ? I am using quickaccess but sometimes it only works for a second and inside of my laptop is super clean. Just changed the thermal paste also. Is there anything i can do?

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,942 Trailblazer

You need to set your laptop up properly, make sure that all the windows updates are done, bios is up to date and NVidia drivers are up to latest version. Install the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant and do a scan so that all Intel components have the latest drivers, then install the latest driver for the GeForce GPU and in the Nvidia Control Panel change the Program Settings to use the Nvidia GPU processor for all programs. For gaming install the GeForce Experience software as this software has all the ultimate settings for many games that Nvidia has gone to a great length to make your GPU perform to its best settings. Doing all this will reduce the CPU and GPU from overheating and your fans from being triggered to do the cooling and spinning at their max speed.

• MON808
    MON808 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter

My drivers are up to date but i will try using the nvidia gpu for all programs last time i tried fans worked much more with that. Thx for the reply

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,240 Trailblazer
    edited June 2023

How old is your laptop (3-4 years?) have you ever cleaned the only 1 small fan and heatsink inlet (dust trap). If not, open the laptop and disconnect the battery, remove the 3 fan screws and unplug the fan cable, take out the fan. Check the grill in front of the heatsink you may have to peel-off a layer of lint and dirt, clean with a soft brush and PC rubber ball blower tool, don't use compressed air or a vacuum cleaner, brush the impellers (fan blades) with a soft brush. Don't lubricate the fan motor. If the fan is still noisy after cleaning, you have to replace it ($25).