my acer v3-531 lost product code now being asked to activate windows, I have no product code

Options
nightdreamer78
nightdreamer78 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited April 2023 in Windows 10

i have owned my acer v3-531 for 10 years maybe longer, i have upgraded the windows systwm from 8 to windows 10. however after a recent upgrade im now being asked to activate windows, i have no product code or activation code, when i put my ssnid number into the acer page it says it isnt recognised and my account has nothing registered on it now as im so far out of warranty.

has anyone got any idea how i will get my activation code as i refuse to pay £219.99 for windows software when im alreadyu running a genuine copy of windows as they wanted me to upgrade the system

[Edited the thread  to add  model  name to the  title and  issue detail]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,264 Trailblazer
    edited April 2023
    Options

Contact your Acer Services office by e-mail; they may help you to download W10.

A word of caution though: I read on MS Answers an old post by an Acer W7 Notebook user (same model):

"Acer advises me that this model is not upgradable and Microsoft Windows 10 Creators update does not include this model in their tables. Also I note that the required drivers appear to be only available through Driver scape which has attracted some unfavorable comments and warnings"

Consider buying an Aspire 5 instead with a large Full HD 15.6" IPS screen for a little over $300😉

Or even better for an extra $200 the latest Windows 11 22H2 laptop

https://www.acer.com/us-en/laptops/aspire/aspire-5-amd/pdp/NX.A84AA.005

I am (intensively) using a 515-54G model for over 4 years now and it has never let me down, the 515 models are all very reliable, best value money can buy.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

Did the changes involve a new motherboard? A new motherboard will require a new license. How about an upgrade from Home to Pro? That also needs a new license. The license stored in the original motherboard should still be good, and it should go ahead and activate without issues.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    Options

Just in addition to all the advice above and what I've esxperienced, as I'm running Win-10 Pro on my Aspire V3-571G perfectly since I got it and since the Win-10 free upgrade was available, this laptop also came oem from Acer with Win-8 installed and its been running 100% on Win-10 Pro, as I've done like 5 reinstalls and every new install registred with a Digital Key always. As its mentioned above, if you have changed the mobo then it won't work, also MS might have changed their upgrade polices with older laptops and Win-10 like the Aspire 5xxx or the V3-5xxx series range, so you need to phone Microsoft up and find out, as usually they will give you a Win-10 25key new digit, I did that with another Acer older laptop the Aspire 5750 and I got a key from Microsoft. Try all that out as if you have the oem V3-531 mobo it should automatically get a Digital Key and be registered with that.