Acer Aspire TC-780 CPU Fan will not spin

Options
2»

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,442 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Options

I don't know the colors, I just reposted Stevegens image that he posted previously. It may help to read it BUT I would verify that one pin has 12 Volts forever and one pin (control pin) has vots when it gets hot enough. The sense pin will vary and may have a digital pulse that varies with the speed of the fan. You'll need the fan to run and an oscillator scope to monitor SO DISREGARD this pin.

Just the ALWAYS 12V and volts on the control pin (maybe 12 or possibly 5 or 3.3V) just verify that it cones on when it gets hot enough. You may have to use a hair dryer to get the thermal hot enough with the covers off.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,956 Trailblazer
    edited May 2023
    Options

Much easier… Plug the case fan into the CPU fan connector. If it spins up and runs the connector is fine. If it acts like the CPU fan did, no spin, then the motherboard isn't turning the CPU fan on, and that's a deeper problem. (99% of the time with an issue like this the fan has died, and a replacement is pretty cheap.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.