What specifc SSD types are capatible for the Acer Nitro 5 AN515-55-53E5 Gaming Laptop?

Tyrell714
Tyrell714 Member Posts: 2 New User

What kind of SSD's are compatible for the Nitro 5? I want to upgrade my PC's storage space and make it run faster. I bought the fanxiang S500 Pro 1TB NVMe SSD and the Addlink S20 1TB PS4 Compatible SATA III. When I put them both in and turned my PC on it could not excute windows. I tried to adjust the settings in my PC's BIOS but nothing worked. I then played around and put back my orginal SSD along with the Addlink SDD and it worked. So the fanxiang SSD was the issue but I am stuck wondering why it wouldnt accept it. Is it because of a capatability issue? And if so what other SSDs could I get for the Nitro?

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,791 Trailblazer
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

For a high quality gaming laptop like the Nitro 5 AN515-55 I would not be using cheap M.2 SSDs like these unproven M.2 drives from China, let me warn you before you start, as you need quality M.2 drives like from Samsung and WD that are the quickest PCIe3x4 M.2 drives, they are reliable and proven, its up to you but you are taking a big risk!

If you want to use the fanxiang S500 M.2 SSD 1TB drive as you boot drive, the best and quickest method is to clone your original Acer fitted 512GB M.2 SSD boot drive onto the new fanxiang S500 M.2 SSD 1TB drive. You need to open the laptop up and put the new drive into the empty M.2 SSD2 slot of your laptop and use the fanxiang“ cloning software, sorry I don’t know which cloning software fanxiang uses for their SSD drives as this company site is in Mandarin Chinese and its impossible to get any information in English, as even their English version of their site, is 90% in Mandarin and I don't understand what is written, the fanxiang S500 M.2 SSD 1TB drive is a 3500MB/s read/write drive and is compatible as its a PCIe3x4 M.2 SSD drive and all these drives are compatible with your laptop and should be quicker than the oem Acer fitted 512GB M.2 drive, so do this to clone this drive::

Note: the 2x M.2 slots in the AN515-55 are not the same read/write speeds, the SSD1 boot drive slot is a much quicker M.2 slot as it works at speeds of an M.2 drive of up to 3500MB/s read/rite PCIe3x4, while the second M.2 slot only work up to a max speed of 2500MB/s read.write with the quickest PCIe3x4 M.2 drives, so be aware of this, the quick SSD 1 slot boot drive is the M.2 slot that is above the SATA-3 drive space.

1. Download and use the best cloning software called Macrium Reflect 8.0 30 Day Trial install the software and read the cloning instructions from Macrium as there is a certain way to clone these drives.
    2. Clone your old Win-11 OS from your old M.2 SSD Acer supplied 512GB boot drive, as its quicker to clone with both drives inside the same laptop
    3. And after the cloning has finished your fanxiang S500 M.2 SSD 1TB drive will have all the Win-11 files that you had on your old boot drive and will be your new boot drive.

Note: with the old boot Acer supplied 512GB M.2 SSD drive and after the cloning has finished, you need to take this drive out of the laptop, before you boot with the new 1TB fanxiang S500 M.2 boot drive, then install the additional SATA-3 Addlink S20 1TB PS4 drive and do the formatting through Disk Management like this:

• First install the SATA-3 Addlink S20 1TB PS4 drive, install this drive into the laptop with the SATA provided kit, after go to Disk Management as this drive should be shown there
    • Then right click on the Addlink S20 disk > it will be shown as an unallocated space. Right-click in the drives area and select “New Simple Volume
    • Click “Next” and choose a volume size in megabytes. The default value reflects the entire disk size. If you only want one large volume on the disk (most common), you can leave this value as is. If you want to create several smaller volumes, you can adjust this accordingly.
    • Click “Next.”
    • Select any available drive letter from the pull-down menu, in your case it should be the letter “E” as your boot is “C” and your old M.2 SSD is “D” and click “Next.”
    • Select “Format this volume with the following settings” Choose “NTFS” (or it could be GUID (GPT) from the File System drop-down and change the Volume label if desired.
    • Check the “Perform a quick format” box, then click “Next” and “Finish.”

This is all that you have to do to install these drives, as if you do all the above for your new 1TB M.2 SSD and the 1TB SATA-3 drive they will both be installed properley and work 100% in a Win-11 OS.

AN515-55 M.2 SSD1 slot

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,832 Trailblazer

When I put them both in and turned my PC on it could not excute windows.

Where was the original SSD with the original Windows operating system when you put the fanxiang card & 2.5" addlink inside? If not inside, did the fanxiang card or 2.5" addlink have the Windows operating system installed?

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,791 Trailblazer
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

For a high quality gaming laptop like the Nitro 5 AN515-55 I would not be using cheap M.2 SSDs like these unproven M.2 drives from China, let me warn you before you start, as you need quality M.2 drives like from Samsung and WD that are the quickest PCIe3x4 M.2 drives, they are reliable and proven, its up to you but you are taking a big risk!

If you want to use the fanxiang S500 M.2 SSD 1TB drive as you boot drive, the best and quickest method is to clone your original Acer fitted 512GB M.2 SSD boot drive onto the new fanxiang S500 M.2 SSD 1TB drive. You need to open the laptop up and put the new drive into the empty M.2 SSD2 slot of your laptop and use the fanxiang“ cloning software, sorry I don’t know which cloning software fanxiang uses for their SSD drives as this company site is in Mandarin Chinese and its impossible to get any information in English, as even their English version of their site, is 90% in Mandarin and I don't understand what is written, the fanxiang S500 M.2 SSD 1TB drive is a 3500MB/s read/write drive and is compatible as its a PCIe3x4 M.2 SSD drive and all these drives are compatible with your laptop and should be quicker than the oem Acer fitted 512GB M.2 drive, so do this to clone this drive::

Note: the 2x M.2 slots in the AN515-55 are not the same read/write speeds, the SSD1 boot drive slot is a much quicker M.2 slot as it works at speeds of an M.2 drive of up to 3500MB/s read/rite PCIe3x4, while the second M.2 slot only work up to a max speed of 2500MB/s read.write with the quickest PCIe3x4 M.2 drives, so be aware of this, the quick SSD 1 slot boot drive is the M.2 slot that is above the SATA-3 drive space.

1. Download and use the best cloning software called Macrium Reflect 8.0 30 Day Trial install the software and read the cloning instructions from Macrium as there is a certain way to clone these drives.
    2. Clone your old Win-11 OS from your old M.2 SSD Acer supplied 512GB boot drive, as its quicker to clone with both drives inside the same laptop
    3. And after the cloning has finished your fanxiang S500 M.2 SSD 1TB drive will have all the Win-11 files that you had on your old boot drive and will be your new boot drive.

Note: with the old boot Acer supplied 512GB M.2 SSD drive and after the cloning has finished, you need to take this drive out of the laptop, before you boot with the new 1TB fanxiang S500 M.2 boot drive, then install the additional SATA-3 Addlink S20 1TB PS4 drive and do the formatting through Disk Management like this:

• First install the SATA-3 Addlink S20 1TB PS4 drive, install this drive into the laptop with the SATA provided kit, after go to Disk Management as this drive should be shown there
    • Then right click on the Addlink S20 disk > it will be shown as an unallocated space. Right-click in the drives area and select “New Simple Volume
    • Click “Next” and choose a volume size in megabytes. The default value reflects the entire disk size. If you only want one large volume on the disk (most common), you can leave this value as is. If you want to create several smaller volumes, you can adjust this accordingly.
    • Click “Next.”
    • Select any available drive letter from the pull-down menu, in your case it should be the letter “E” as your boot is “C” and your old M.2 SSD is “D” and click “Next.”
    • Select “Format this volume with the following settings” Choose “NTFS” (or it could be GUID (GPT) from the File System drop-down and change the Volume label if desired.
    • Check the “Perform a quick format” box, then click “Next” and “Finish.”

This is all that you have to do to install these drives, as if you do all the above for your new 1TB M.2 SSD and the 1TB SATA-3 drive they will both be installed properley and work 100% in a Win-11 OS.

AN515-55 M.2 SSD1 slot

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,198 Pathfinder

@Tyrell714

Kindly go through the details which is captured from service manual designed for your computer

Pict 1

Pict 2

Pict 3

Pict 4

Pict 5

Pict 6

Pict 7

I would like to provide some additional info which will really help you. 

Kindly go through the details given below.  The info provided below will be very helpful to get the current memory and ssd details of your computer and the options to upgrade it.  

Please visit the website given below.  There is an option to  "start your scan "  and " select your computer " .  Please chose the options and try it.  It will show you the memory and SSD’s details and the best upgrade options for you.. 

https://www.crucial.com/

It will tell you what you currently have and what you can add for memory and SSD's. 

Note: If you decide to buy you can always compare the prices by visiting other websites or stores and then you can decide.  We are providing the info of scan app just to show you the upgrade options.  You can even download similar scan apps from other memory upgrade websites too. 

To check the compatibility of ram which you can use on your computer.. Get CPUz and check it with that in SPD section of all the RAM and specs that you have, its a quick and simple way to check all OEM specs and what you have in your system. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,832 Trailblazer

When I put them both in and turned my PC on it could not excute windows.

Where was the original SSD with the original Windows operating system when you put the fanxiang card & 2.5" addlink inside? If not inside, did the fanxiang card or 2.5" addlink have the Windows operating system installed?

Jack E/NJ