acer aspire tc-875 My desktop says single channel with 2 sticks of ram

Flasha
Flasha Member Posts: 6 New User

I have a acer aspire tc-875 with 8gb of ram I added a 4gb stick to have access to dual channel for more performance. I thought it wouldn't be a difference if they weren't the exact same stick like 8x8gb ram for 16. They have the same cl and both were rated at 3200mhz but in my pc I only had 2 ram slots but they show as single channel 12gb in my bios as 2667mhz is there a bios update I can do to have access to xmp or so I have to by new ram?

[Edited  the  thread  to  add  model  name]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,828 Trailblazer

Check with CPU-Z it may show Dual Channel, nothing to do with BIOS.

Having said that I always got the best results going Dual Channel with 2 identical DDR4s everything, brand and capacity.

That 2667 Mhz you are getting is the maximum clock speed of your MOBO: 2666MHz so even if you put 3200 Mhz DDR4s in the slots you won't get more than 2667 Mhz (which is pretty good).

• Flasha
    Flasha Member Posts: 6 New User
    edited April 2023

@Puraw

is there a different version of the motherboard I could buy to get the faster ram speed or anything? My issue with the ram is that my cpu is bottlenecking my pc for example if I would play Fortnite on performance mode my cpu would bottleneck my gtx 1050ti. But I've seen people with the same specs as mine run over 200 fps but I only run barely 115

• Puraw

Sorry, that is above my "pay grade" maybe someone else can respond to that question😉

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

Mixed memory sizes will not give you dual channel mode. The two sticks have to be the same size and the mode works best if the two sticks are identical. That being said dual channel mode will only help if the app or game you are running is multi-threaded, so in most cases you won't see a difference. That being said, the chipset for your system only supports 2666MHz memory, so putting 3200 still runs at the 2666 the chipset supports. Don't pay more for 'faster' ram since it won't actually be faster. Also, the chipset doesn't support XMP overclocking, so you can't get faster memory that way either, and in most cases XMP memory will actually run at 2133, so quite a bit slower. Are you sure it's your CPU that's holding you back? The 1050ti isn't a real speed demon anymore, a 2050, 3050 or 4050 would all be much faster and use similar amounts of power.

If you are looking at gaming, you would likely be better off to sell this one and get a Nitro or Predator model, since they are optimized for gaming…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Puraw
    edited April 2023

Check with CPU-Z freeware it may well show that are in Dual Channel mode.

Capacity of DDR4s can be mixed in some laptops, I have seen RAM with a mix of 1 x 4 + 1 x 8 GB DDR4 that ran in Dual Channel mode, but a set of two identical DDR4s is always recommended.