ACER Aspire A515-45G The cooling system in Windows is not working properly

Options
Kostyan_Sigaev
Kostyan_Sigaev Member Posts: 4 New User
edited April 2023 in Acer Software

Six months ago I bought an ACER Aspire A515-45G based on Ryzen 5 5500U and Radeon RX640. My notebook has a problem with cooling: when I enter BIOS, the cooler starts running at maximum speed and cools CPU and video chip very well. But when I boot into Windows 10/11, it runs at minimum speed and during games or 3-D modeling CPU temperature reaches 80 degrees very quickly, but cooler doesn't reach maximum speed, and only makes a little noise to lower the temperature to 78 degrees, then it runs slowly again, and CPU reaches 80 degrees and starts trotling. I even already turned off the discrete graphics chip, because when I use it the notebook heats up fast and together with the processor and graphics chip the casing and keyboard gets hot, which hurts when I press the buttons. More aluminum cover gets hot and use a laptop on your lap is dangerous, I've already got burned 2 times. How can this problem with insufficient cooling be solved?
I tried running heavy games and closing them abruptly at 80 degrees, it took the system about 1 minute and 45 seconds to bring the temperature down to 50 degrees. I also pushed the cpu to 80 degrees again, and this time abruptly rebooted the laptop to BIOS mode, in which case the temperature dropped in 12 seconds. I don't know what's wrong with Windows, I've reinstalled it so many times already... I also used Ubuntu 18.04 distribution and in it the cooler turned on and worked fine, CPU temperature rarely reached 70 degrees. But Ubuntu didn't have programs I needed, so I had to use Windows...
I also tried installing Notebook Fan Control and other similar programs, but they either had no effect on the cooler or caused the system to crash, resulting in CPU frequency dropping to 0.4 GHz, and the battery ceased to see the laptop at all. After completely removing such programs from the system and cleaning their stats through different programs, after a few hours the laptop gradually returned to normal and the next day I could use it as usual.
How do I fix this cooling problem?

[Edited the thread to add model name]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,824 Trailblazer
    Options

The maximum fanspeed at startup is normal, windows will take control of the fan speed after the POST. Your model is not a gaming laptop and ranks at the lower level for gaming (see picture), only has 1 fan (inadequate for gaming) and the CPU is for routine type work certainly not gaming. If you do want to play games keep it light and switch to Ballanced Power Plan, always have the power adapter plugged in and stop playing games when you feel the laptop is getting hot.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,064 Trailblazer
    edited April 2023
    Options

Your A515-45G only has 1x fan that cools the cpu/gpu, this laptop does not have any Acer fan or cooling software like the Nitro/Predator gaming laptops have, so there is no software that can regulate the fan speed. the AMD cpu's do run hot but 80c is not a hot temp for these new modern laptops as they are designed to run at those temps with gaming, as they also have a switch if the cpu/gpu reaches temps above 100c for the cpu and 95c for the gpu, as then the laptop turn off completely.

You are worrying about nothing as that is how your laptop is designed and at 80c while playing games and stressing your laptop its a normal temp that Acer designed this laptop for. Don't forget that the A515-45G is not a gaming laptop, yes it can play games but Acer didn't design this laptop as a pure hard core gaming laptop and that is why its only got one fan and a basic cpu/gpu copper thermal cooling design, no fan control software like the Nitro or Predator Sense and a basic thermal system and you cant do anything about this..

If you play demanding games the cpu/gpu temps will get hot. buy a high end tablet cooler or a vent suction cooler as they will help to inject or retract hot air and circulate fresh and cold air into your laptop, as that is the only solution, otherwise you will need to drastically mod the case with extra vent holes so that this laptops hot air can escapes and circulate.

• Kostyan_Sigaev
    Options

At first I will say that the laptop is used not only for games, but also for 3d modeling and game development on Unity, and still various office tasks.

In this case I will play for 20 seconds, then I will wait 2 minutes for the laptop to cool down, then play again for 20 seconds and so on in a circle...

The problem is that the cooler is doing a good job, but the system does not allow it to reach higher speeds...

80 degrees may be a normal temperature for the processor, but touching the keyboard with your hands, the temperature of which is almost 80 degrees is very painful. I'm not going to buy additional external keyboards out of principle, for such a price laptop I generally had to bring it from the factory on foot in their hands...

And in general, what additional cooling systems can we talk about when I'm paying a lot of money to buy a powerful iron, which simply can not cool properly? I have not overclocked it, it is "out of the box", but the cooling system in an expensive notebook is not able to cool it... What did I pay my money for? Is this an indicator of quality?

• Kostyan_Sigaev
    Options

But the main problem is that when the processor reaches 80 degrees Celsius it starts trotting and in the task manager I see the CPU frequency dropping to 2.1 GHz. This is not normal for a new laptop...

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,921 Trailblazer
    Options

Here is the fan tables for your system:

First question, which mode are you using? If you are trying to run gaming or heavier activity than typical for a business computer I'd try performance mode.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Kostyan_Sigaev
    Options

By performance mode, do you mean the power setting in Windows or some other setting?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,921 Trailblazer
    Options

I believe the modes are selected within Acer's utility software. For the A515-45G it might be Acer Care Center?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.