what do all the extra symbols mean on my keyboard?

Options

many of my keyboard keys have 4 or 5 symbols. I know the keys for regular typing, but these extra sysbols do not seem to be activated by any keystroke combination I can find. The Alt Gr key will do various things in combination with some keys, but this does not seem to be what's indicated by the key symbols. I have a similar problem with my Acer Chromebook. Can you explain the key map for me? Thx.

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,125 Pathfinder
    Options

@lincolnstoller

Kindly go through the details which is captured from service manual. It will vary from model to model.

Pict 1

Pict 2

Pict 3

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• William_mk2
    Options

@lincolnstoller

Kindly go through the details which is captured from service manual. It will vary from model to model. This is for a chromebook model.

Pict 1

Pict 2

Pict 3

Pict 4

On a Windows computer you can find alt , alt + gr , alt + car on the bottom row of keyboard . It is used to go to repair mode to reinstall or repair windows.

Note: You can also go to chose an option , continue , troubleshoot by holding the alt key + tapping f10  or alt gr + tapping f10 on the keyboard while turning on the computer.    Once you see the troubleshoot option, you can stop tapping the f10 and stop holding the alt key.    Then you can try the keep my files and remove everything ( just remove by files and fully clean the drive ) to do a factory reset on your windows computer.

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• William_mk2
    Options

@lincolnstoller

On your chrome book you can also use esc and refresh keys to do a hard reset. You can also use Ctrl + shift + alt + r to do a power wash. We are not asking you to do power wash or hard reset. We are only trying to explain you the usage of keys on chromebook.

Step 1

How to perorm a hard reset on chromebook

Kindly follow the details from the link given below.    It will show you how to perform a hard reset. 

https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/496-reinstall-powerwash-the-chrome-os

Once the hard reset is completed try to check whether it is working fine by connecting to wireless.     If it is not connecting to a wifi at your home please try to connect to a wifi in a different place or try to go to a hot spot and try to connect to a different wifi and check. 

Step 2

Kindly go through the steps given below to do a power wash by using combinations of keys on your chromebook.

We need to do a power wash on your chrome book.Restart the chromebook.
    On the login screen please don’t type the password.
    Hold the Ctrl key + shift key + alt key on keyboard and then press the letter r once
    It will show “Reset this pc”
    Click on power wash and continue..
    Please understand it will clear the local and user settings..
    Please complete the final setup..
    Connnect to wifi and type the wifi password
    Login to chromebook with your regular password
    It should work fine ..

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,781 Trailblazer
    Options

Experiment with combinations of Alt Gr, Ctrl, Shift and the other Alt. You will find that all the symbols are available if your language for the laptop is set to match the language for the keyboard. If you have the language set to something other than what matches the keyboard then some or all of the special characters aren't directly available.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • lincolnstoller
    lincolnstoller Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks billsey, but it doesn't seem to work. I've set the language for the computer. There does not seem to be a separate language for the keyboard. Fiddling with the alt, shift, and ctrl keys does not seem to activate anything related to the other symbols on the many multi-symbol keys. For example, the [ and (shift){ key has the symbol "[" in the middle, and the symbols ^ on the lower right and again ^ on the upper right. What does this mean?

Another example, key with . and (shift)> has another . on the lower right and and and third . on the upper right. WTF?

No instructions anywhere that I've found.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,781 Trailblazer
    Options

What language is the default for the computer? What language do you have set on it? Can you show us a picture of the keyboard?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.