Does upgrading my laptop storage and ram void the warranty? A514-55.

baozaboy
baozaboy Member Posts: 25 Troubleshooter
edited April 2023 in Aspire Laptops

I have a laptop Aspire 5 A514-55.
I contacted acer customer support asking if this laptop is can upgrade the storage.
They replied,

but my laptop still have 3 year warranty and I don't want to void the warranty just to upgrade the parts in the laptop.
And if I still want to upgrade n covered by the warranty , their price is too ex

and they dont accept me to bring in my own parts to their service center to install it n cover by the warranty

what should I do? should I just YOLO and void the warranty to upgrade the parts or nah

[Edited the content to hide sensitive information]

Best Answer

Answers

• Emma_
    Emma_ Moderator, Member Posts: 226 Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hello!!

@baozaboy

It won't void the warranty to replace user-serviceable parts unless damage occurs during the replacement. The replaced parts also won't be covered by warranty.

No, upgrading or installing any hardware(like SSD, HDD, RAM) on the Acer laptop will not void the warranty, untill you break the seal.

Regards,

LunaNova14

• Guanzon
    Guanzon Member Posts: 2 New User

No, but if you break the hardware itself it might not function .

• baozaboy

alright thanks

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,143 Pathfinder

@baozaboy

Please contact Acer support in your region and get more information on warranty of your device.  It will vary from region to region and from country to country.

If your laptop is in warranty you can contact the warranty dept.     Go to the website support.acer.com - chose your country.   On the new page - scroll down -  click on "contact support".  Scroll down.  You can find the phone no to contact the warranty dept. 

If you don't have a warranty warning sticker on the screw of the RAM door, you can upgrade without voiding warranty

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• baozaboy

But in order for me to upgrade the rams/hdd/sdd , i would have to break the warranty seal to unscrew the laptop buttom casing.

secondly, does this means that breaking the warranty seal sticker will void the warranty?

thirdly, if the parts i installed causes the laptop to be damage, is it possible for me to replace it back with the original parts and will they find out about it? like is there any hardware logger

• @baozaboy

Most of the people install the ram and ssd on their own. It is very simple and easy to install. If you are not comfortable in installing it please seek the help of a technician or contact warranty dept.

Please contact Acer support in your region and get more information on warranty of your device.  It will vary from region to region and from country to country.

If your laptop is in warranty you can contact the warranty dept.     Go to the website support.acer.com - chose your country.   On the new page - scroll down -  click on "contact support".  Scroll down.  You can find the phone no to contact the warranty dept. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★