New motherboard for better performance po5-640?

Options
Midnightb
Midnightb Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hi all,

Sorry if the question is a bit random but I've got some really good advice from reading these,

Does anyone know if a motherboard upgrade would allow xmp profiles,f aster ram and CPU overclocking on this pc? And also has anyone done this and found a mbo that fits? It looks like it's specifically made for the casedue to m.2 second port going over a hear dispenser, just thought I had better ask here :)

The pc is Acer predator po5-640 i7-12700, 3070, 16Gb DDR5 Ram

Thank you

Comments

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,986 Trailblazer
    edited April 2023
    Options

The mobo that comes oem from Acer with your PO5-640 is a socket 1700 with the Intel H670 chipset type, the best gaming and overclocking mobos for the socket 1700 cpu's depends on your budget as the Z790 chipset is the beat gaming mobo so far, and they come in all flavours (see here Intel Motherboards for Gaming) but the top for overclocking: mobo is the Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Tachyon as you can upgrade to that easily with swapping the components from your PO5-640 straight onto this mobo and extending your overclocking and gaming specs considerably.

These new Z790 chipset will take XMP and any overclocked ram and has the ability to overclock the cpu considerably and much more than the Acer H670 mobo that is in your PO5-640 for high end gaming, but you have to consider that you will need to upgrade the stock cpu cooler to a Noctua NH-U9S chromax.black or NH-U12S chromax.black a water cooling solution as when you overclock a cpu or ram you need to cool them otherwise its useless doing it or spending money on a superior mobo, so consider that also.