Is it worth to upgrade the parts of ACER ASPIRE TC - 860 or should I just slowly do custom build?

Dabebi
Dabebi Member Posts: 1 New User

If so, what parts could possibly be upgraded? Does this also include the possibility of changing its case?

I just thought about this recently and I am fairly new on this kind of stuffs as the tight budget hinders me focusing on this also, I am really struggling to play Valorant on this pc without any fps drops every now and then even multitasking on this device tend to lag heavily such as browsing in my Opera Gx while opening MS word. So I just want to view your thoughts and possible budget parts suggestions about this.

Here are some lists of my specs and pls do tell what other specs do you want to see if this is lacking :

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-8100 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GT 710

Memory

4.0 GB

Speed: 2400 MHz
Slots used: 1 of 2
Form factor: DIMM
Hardware reserved: 84.2 MB

Available 850 MB
Cached 846 MB
Committed 4.9/7.9 GB
Paged pool 291 MB
Non-paged pool 267 MB
In use (Compressed) 3.1 GB (59.0 MB)
Additional info :
I am a 4th year college student and I live in the Phillipines, thanks in advance for your answers!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,777 Trailblazer

The main bottleneck is the GT 710 graphics card. If you're on a tight budget, you should be able to go to the GTX 1660 super if you have the 300 watt power supply. Next increasing the RAM to 32GB with two 16GB DDR4 dimm modules should also make a fairly big difference. Other upgrades are possible but with diminishing performance returns for money spent.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer
    edited April 2023

Looks like some of your specs didn't make it through. Symptoms like browsing and Word together causing slowdowns isn't related to the GT 710, though that card is pretty low end for a gaming system. Are you running off a HDD or a SSD? If it is a HDD then replacing that with a SSD will be the biggest performance gain for your money, by far. Next, as Jack suggests, could be memory. Various models of TC-860 had as little as 4GB of memory installed. You likely want at least 8GB and better yet 16GB. 32GB is overkill for what you seem to be doing, but run Task Manager in the Performance tab to see where you are in memory usage now. Next is the GPU upgrade, but it's not going to be inexpensive. The GTX 1650 or 1660 are both good choices that shouldn't require a new PSU. Last would be a CPU, going from the i3-8100 to an i7-8700 will jump your from 4 cores to 6 and from 4 threads to 12, though actual performance won't be a lot different unless you are running lots of things at once.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.