Linux support for mediatek network card MTK7902 (Acer Extensa 215-23)

Options
sanic5214
sanic5214 Member Posts: 2 New User

The laptop in use is acer extensa 215-23 https://store.acer.com/en-in/acer-extensa-laptop-amd-ryzentm-3-7320u-quad-core-processor-8-gb-512-gb-ssd-windows-11-home-ms-office-home-and-student-ex215-23-39-6-cm-15-6-full-hd-display-1

Here is my linux probe: https://linux-hardware.org/?probe=bf5730d468

There is no problem with other hardware, everything runs fine; except the mediatek network card : Mediatek Corp. device 7902. It doesnt detect the wifi at all, same issue with bluetooth.
I have tried the latest kernels as well as installing the linux firmware. sudo lshw -C network returns a blank output.
All the troubleshooting made me realise that there were no wifi drivers in the system, nor in the latest kernels. I have even checked on the web and cant find the drivers.

Any fixes?

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

It is possible MEdiatek hasn't done Linux drivers for that card, or the Linux developers haven't compiled them into the kernel. What I'd likely do is replace the card with an Intel and use Intel's drivers, they are better supported for alternate OSes. The card is an M.2 2230, so pretty much the standard form factor. Stay away form the AX201, AX211 or AX411, they use a different PCIe protocol.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options

It is possible MEdiatek hasn't done Linux drivers for that card, or the Linux developers haven't compiled them into the kernel. What I'd likely do is replace the card with an Intel and use Intel's drivers, they are better supported for alternate OSes. The card is an M.2 2230, so pretty much the standard form factor. Stay away form the AX201, AX211 or AX411, they use a different PCIe protocol.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • sanic5214
    sanic5214 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thank you so much for taking the time to offer a solution :)
    Unfortunately, I'm not able to swap the network cards on my new laptop, being only a week old. The warranty policy in my country states that any hardware modifications or repairs done by a third party will void the warranty. I don't want to risk damaging my laptop, so I'll have to wait until the warranty expires before attempting any modifications. In the meantime, I'll keep an eye out for any driver updates that might fix the issue.
    Thanks again for your help!

• billsey
    Options

Yeah, that's often the case with new models and Linux. It takes a while before the developers port the Windows drivers over.