Acer Aspire 7 A715-51G Charging through Type-C/ Thunderbolt 4 port.

Phalcy
Phalcy Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in Aspire Laptops

Laptop- Acer Aspire 7 A715-51G, i5-1240P (GTX 1650), 8 Gb RAM
I am unable to charge my laptop through Thundebolt 4 port. Is anyone else facing the same issue or am I missing something. I have tried switching cables. Tried reinstalling windows and drivers.
I am currently using the windows 11 build 22621.1485.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Emma_
    Emma_ Moderator, Member Posts: 226 Moderator

Hello!!

@Phalcy

Your model seems to have a hybrid HDMI output which can switch between the intel & nvidia graphics. So the graphics should support displayport. BUT it does so only by using a HDMI to displayport formfactor adapter. So it apparently doesn't have  a physically separate displayport port.

However, other users claim to have successfully gotten around this limitation by using this active adapter which seems to convert a video stream from the graphics adapter to a data stream that a USBA3 or USBC data port can handle, then video out to another monitor. Because this likely involves 3 conversions --- video to data to video --- I'm gonna guess there  would be limitations on frame rates. So it's not something to rely on to play hi-speed gpu intensive games on an external display

Regards,

LunaNova14

• Have you checked if thunderbolt is enabled in the bios?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Phalcy

yes i have checked it and enabled the "thunderbolt device detection". This was the only setting I could find for it.

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,755 Pathfinder

@Phalcy what is your charger wattage? It should be a PD charger and is at least 65W

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Phalcy

I am using anker 100Watt charger. And am using the topmost port for charing through type-C to type-C cable.

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,755 Pathfinder

@Phalcy do you have a phone that uses a Type-C charger? Try to connect the cable to the phone and the laptop to see if the phone can be charged. Also, check the manual for the Type-C port specification.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Do the USB ports have a lightning bolt symbol?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)