Acer Aspire 7 - R5C5 Is it okay to plug in my laptop while using it?

hiroo
hiroo Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in Aspire Laptops

Is it okay to plug in my laptop while using it? I don't really know if does it still take the power from battery while plugged in which causes some battery issues (older laptops) or is it adapted the new thing that allows the laptop to pull power from the socket directly if the battery is at 100%.

My laptop is Acer Aspire 7 - R5C5.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,240 Trailblazer

With Lithium Ion Smart batteries it makes no difference, just leave your power adapter plugged in when working, keep your battery charged between 80-40% will increase the lifespan of your Lithium Ion Battery😉

• FlyingGeese
    FlyingGeese Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

I am concerned about extending the life of my batttery.

"keep your battery charged between 80-40% will increase the lifespan of your Lithium Ion Battery" This is my goal. I've had my Spin 512 for a month and I've accidentally charged it to 100% on 5 occasions. I'm hoping that this is not going to significantly affect things overall, as long as I keep an eye out for the maximum 80% charge. I've noticed that the charge is really quick, more so than I expected.

Not sure if you are allowed to comment on apps here, but I like Accu Battery. What's your opinion?

Thank you.

• Puraw

No experience with that app, I use Windows "Battery report", type or paste the following line in the Command Prompt:

powercfg /batteryreport /output %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\battery_report.html

And open the file "battery_report.html" on your desktop by double clicking on it.

I would not worry too much about the 100% full charged, more critical is the low end, never let it drain below 5% that will ruin any battery. Set your power alarms to shutdown at 10% and switch to the Battery Saver at 20%, you should get 1,000 full charge cycles or 5 years whatever comes first. I am on my 2nd battery after 3 years as 1 (out of 3) cell died (not sure why). I get 4 hours out of this battery, no videos, Ballanced Power Plan, no games but 15/7 on the internet. HWINFO also has a battery checker but the "Wear Level" is not correct, the last Full Charge Capacity is divided by the Designed Capacity and that should be the initial Full Charged Capacity as the Designed Capacity is just a gimmick always much higher than actual.

• FlyingGeese

Tinkerer

Thank you Puraw,

You've given me lots of resources here.

1. the Windows battery report and how to access
    2. the priority of a low end drain
    3. ways to save power and why the battery saver is important
    4. the illusion of wear level and how to determine it correctly.

You've identified how you can get the most time with specific behavior. I will start paying attention to that and see what I learn from mine.

• Puraw
    edited April 2023

@hiroo and @FlyingGeese

If you like my post please click on "like" and "Answer" so this thread can be closed, thanks.

• FlyingGeese

Tinkerer

Puraw, can you please describe where the "Answer" icon/button selection is located? Happy to help close a thread, but new, looked around, searched for that particular item and nothing came up. It's not obvious to me. Thanks for your patience here.

• Puraw

@hiroo started this thread and will have to click on Like and Answer, @FlyingGeese commented and can only like a reply.

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited April 2023

Yes. Pretty much all my laptops are used as desktops, aka, always connected to power. Battery wear is like about 3-5% per year on average, and that is pretty low if you asked me.

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045