Nitro 5 AN517-52 randomly turned off and won't charge or do anything

ninto
ninto Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hey there!

I have been using my Nitro 5 AN517-52 for about 1.5 years now without any issues. It has been working fine and never showed any issues.

Today, while I was on a video call, it just went black, the keyboard backlight anf fans turned off and it went quiet (same behaviour as unplugging Desktop PC).

This was happening while the laptop was plugged in.

Now not even the charging light will glow when I plug in the power supply. Nothing happens, when I press the power button.

I think that the power brick is not an issue, since I measured it. The laptop recieves about 19.48 V on the charging port. This should be fine for a 19.5V spec I think.

I checked all the connectors connecting the battery to the mainboard and they also seem to be fine or not loose at least.

Did anyone of you already encounter this issue or does anyone have a fix for it?

I need a pretty urgent replacement or repair, since the laptop is neccessary for my occupation.

Thanks in advance, Ninto

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,933 Trailblazer

This is an internal power/charging circuitry issue that a tech needs to trace which component is shorted, it could be a capacitor or if you are really unlucky a mosat which could even be as bad as a shorted cpu or gpu, if that has happened then you need to replace the motherboard. Just trace the mobo traces to the cpu/gpu and inspect if any circuitries are swollen or burned out? Also it could be a corrupted bios that the bios chip might need reprograming or replacing.

Try to do a hard reset, take the main battery out, disconnect the bios battery and take the ram out, leave all the components disconnected for 15min and then reconnect them all, if you have 2x ram modules just connect one first and then reboot the laptop and see if the laptop boots, if not then you need to take your laptop to an experienced tech in your area with the proper micro soldering and microscope to analyse your laptop as a user like you can’t do this job and/or replace circuitries on a laptop. If you need to replace the motherboard then get the exact model number from your old mobo as there are many mobos for the AN517-52 as you can see below.

AN517-52 motherboards

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,225 Trailblazer
    edited March 2023

Hi @ninto

The charge light indicator being off while the adapter is plugged in indicates you have a power issue like StevenGen writes, disconnect your battery (open the back of your laptop and unplug the battery connector from the motherboard). Press the Power Button (hold it pressed down) for 2-3 minutes to discharge any stray/static charge on the motherboard. Reconnect the battery cable to the motherboard and try to power up (press the Power Button). If that didn't do anything, disconnect again the battery from the motherboard, close the back of the laptop (no need to screw it yet) and plug in the power adapter to see if your laptop will start without a battery (some models can run with a power adapter only). If that works you know you need a new battery, if it still won't start consider a new battery even a 1.5 year old battery while playing games or discharging a battery below the 5% charge threshold can ruin a good battery. I had 2 old laptops (HP) that acted the same way as you describe because of a dead battery. Alternatively bring the laptop to Acer Services for checking.