Keys on my keyboard choose when they want to function

Kpekere
Kpekere Member Posts: 1 New User

Two keys on my keyboboard , the S & left ctrl key, are sporadic. I don't really use the laptop that much but when I do it is like the keys work for a long while then out of the blue go on a little vacation before returning. I usually use the administrator command prompt to do a scan and that sometimes return the keys. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this or have an idea of what is happening. Thanks

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,432 Trailblazer

Hi,

Go to Device manager, expand Keyboards, right click Standard PS/2 keyboard and select Properties, move to Driver tab and uninstall the driver, reboot and let Windows install the driver and see whether it helps.

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 13,235 Trailblazer
    edited March 2023

Hi @Kpekere if what the friend brummyfan2 commented does not work, can you try if the same thing happens with the virtual keyboard?
    This would serve to know if it is a physical problem of the keyboard.
    You can also try a USB keyboard.
    Thank you.
    All the best.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use-the-on-screen-keyboard-osk-to-type-ecbb5e08-5b4e-d8c8-f794-81dbf896267a

• Haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si se resolvió, ¡gracias!
    • Colaborador pro bono, no trabajo ni hablo en nombre de Acer
    • Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as solution if it was solved, thanks!
    • Pro bono contributor, I do not work or speak on behalf of Acer
    • MVP de MSFT (2003-21) & Windows Insider & (alezmvp)
  • jerryjhon
    jerryjhon Member Posts: 2 New User

It sounds like you're experiencing some issues with the keys on your keyboard. This could be caused by a variety of factors, such as hardware malfunction or software issues. Here are a few things you can try to troubleshoot the problem:

1. Restart your computer: Sometimes a simple reboot can fix issues with the keyboard.
    2. Check the connections: If you're using a wired keyboard, make sure the cable is securely plugged in. If you're using a wireless keyboard, make sure it's properly paired with your computer.
    3. Clean the keyboard: Over time, dust and debris can build up on the keys, which can interfere with their function. Use a can of compressed air or a soft-bristled brush to clean the keyboard.
    4. Update drivers: If the problem persists, try updating the keyboard drivers. You can usually do this through the Device Manager in Windows or the System Preferences in macOS.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, it's possible that the keyboard itself may be malfunctioning and may need to be replaced.