has anyone had issues with overheating on their Aspire A515-44 AMD Ryzen 4500U with Radeon graphics

Options
Mickog
Mickog Member Posts: 2 New User

I've had overheating issue spikes on my laptop for about a year .. I have tried sucking the unit through the vents with my hoover but it hasn't made much difference… in fact my Advanced Systemcare Monitor program has started detecting the Mainboard overheating along with the CPU for short intervals as well now..usually at boot time… where the temp sometimes reaches 85C ..and once or twice 87C

the fan cuts in and cools it down but i'm concerned this daily issue is doing harm to my 2 year old laptop .. installed 21.03.21.. registered with Acer 21.03.21

is there a way of checking the 'clocking' to see if my system is calibrated correctly ?

regards michael

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options

»>the temp sometimes reaches 85C ..and once or twice 87C»»

This is normal CPU temps under heavy load. As long as CPU temps stay below about 90*C, it should be fine. However, you can try to promote better airflow and reduce peak temp up to about 5*C by raising the laptop about an inch above a hard surface taking care not to block the air intake and exhaust vents. I use a wire grilling rack from a toaster oven to raise my laptop to promote better airflow inside the case.

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    Options

The AMD systems do overheat, also this Aspire A515-44 laptop doesn’t have the greatest cooling setup with a flimsy thermal module and one fan to pump out the hot air. It could be that your thermal fan is not working 100% and/or you need to re paste the cpu and gpu and vram chips as that has to be done every year, use a high grade paste like Thermal Grizzly DON’T USE liquid metal paste as you will damage this laptop. That is what I would do as this laptop should operate properly if maintained and serviced and its proper drivers are installed.

Re paste the highlighted components below vram gpu and cpu with Thermal Grizzly paste and new pads

• Mickog
    Mickog Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

thank you to both JackE & StevenGen for your replies.. I have my laptop resting on a cooling mat .. I used it during the hot periods during last year.. and to StevenGen I have found similar advice to your solution after googling my problem but i don't feel qualified or confident enough to start tampering with the laptop .. I was just seeing whether my overheating problem was systemic to this particular model … and from an observational point of view my overheating is not down to gaming but looks to be where the software is having resource shortages causing an overload .. my Advanced Systemcare Monitor program shows short bursts of 100% usage on 'Disk' and high 'CPU' usually at boot time

Is there a way i can see whether my WLB is correct or see if my CPU clocking is set correctly .. ?

thanks again Michael

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options

I have my laptop resting on a cooling mat

Instead of a mat, I suggest the wire rack. The reason being is that the mat blows air upward. This can actually impede airflow out of the bottom case exhaust vents that blows downward in the opposite direction. It's more efficient simply to raise the laptop about an inch to promote better airflow both in and out of the intake and exhaust vents.

Jack E/NJ

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,264 Trailblazer
    Options

Hi @Mickog

After 3 years intensive use (no games or video) my a515-54G accumulated a thick "carpet" of lint and dust in front of the heatsink grill (see first picture above, black box between thumb and index finger) that I had to peel off, I frequently vacuumed the fan outlets but that did not stop the dust and lint buildup inside (invisible from the outside). My laptop was/is considerably cooler after that. I work most of the time outside in the tropics.

You need to remove the 3 screws and unplug the fan to get to that heatsink inlet. First disconnect the battery before working on anything inside your laptop and disable Fast Startup in Power Plan so the latop will completely shut down.