SSD on Acer Aspire Z24-880 Do you know the steps to open the PC and install the SSD?

Options
lucausa75
lucausa75 Member Posts: 23 Networker
edited March 2023 in All-In-One PCs

Dear all,
I bought an Acer Aspire Z24-880 (2.4GHz i5-7400T 23.8" 1920 x 1080Pixel Black) and I would like to install an SSD hard drive.
Do you know the steps to open the PC and install the SSD?
Thanks to who will help me

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    edited March 2023
    Options

These are the specs for the Z24-880 AIO hard drives that are - 1x SATA-3 B&M end key type M.2 2280mm SSD drives and the 1x 2.5" SATA-3 type drive mechanical HDD or it can be also upgraded to a quicker 2.5" SSD SATA 3 drives. For best performance also run adequate ram as this Z24-880 AIO can have a max total of 32GB (2x 16GB DDR4-2400MHz DDR4 1.2V SODIMMs type ram) into its 2x ram slots

Make sure that you update windows updates and all Intel drivers and if you have an NVidia gpu then update the gpu’s driver to its latest driver version, and also update to the last bios Version: R01-B2, be careful with the bios update, as and if you don’t know how to update a bios, get an experienced technician to this for you, as making a mistake with a bios update can brick your AIO PC, as and by doing all the above, it will make your AIO Z24-880 perform to its ultimate and best performance.

See below how to open the case of your AIO computer and where the M.2 2280 SSD drive is and the 2.5"HDD is, follow the instructions to open especially the DVD drive pre removal components from the Z24-880s case pre-opening.

Note: the capacities of the listed M.2 SATA drives at 128GB or 256GB capacities drives is only listed as a suggestion for this old AIO PC, as the SATA-3 drives capacity are only limited by their formats and the Z24-880 bios is a GUID Partition Table (GPT) UEFI partion this AIOs drive capacity can be from a range and to a greater capacity of 8 Petabyte plus (1 Petabyte = 1000TB) while the MBR/Legacy format is limited to 2,2TB max and that is the difference.

To disassemble do this:

1. Remove the four screws securing the computer stand to the main chassis assembly.
    2. Detach the computer stand from the main chassis assembly, unscrew the .
    3. Force eject the ODD tray by inserting a thin metal object or a flattened paper clip into the ODD emergency eject hole and push until the door opens
    4. Disengage the latch securing the ODD bezel to the ODD tray, then detach the ODD bezel
    5. Push back the ODD tray until it latches into place.
    6. Remove the three screws securing the main cover assembly to the main chassis assembly.
    7. Disengage the latches securing the main cover assembly to the main chassis assembly.

7. Detach the main cover assembly from the main chassis assembly

• lucausa75
    Options

Thanks a lotfor your detailed post.

So from what you have wrote I understood the max size of the SSD my AIO supports is 128 or 256 GB.

If yes can you suggest an SSD model for my PC?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

No, there is no maximum size, the 128 and 256GB sizes are just the options shipped originally with the models.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • lucausa75
    Options

...any model you have already tested on this machine?

• billsey
    Options

The drive interface is an M.2 PCIe x1 slot with support for SATA SSDs. Windows has a limit to drive size of 18 exabytes, which is much larger than any drive available. I expect manufacturers will stop releasing SATA versions of the M.2 form factor drives at some point. I believe that 2TB drives are available and that 4TB drives aren't in that form factor. The newer NVMe drives do have 4TB and 8TB drives in the M.2 form factor, but that's not compaible with your Z24-880.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • lucausa75
    Options

This SSD could be compatible?

https://amzn.eu/d/1cyNNn6

• billsey
    Options

That doesn't seem to be an M.2 drive, but I don't read Italian, so take my info with that in mind. :)

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

These images can help you with disassembly:

This site can also help: https://www.userbenchmark.com/system/acer-aspire-z24-880/66529

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    Options

That is not an M.2 drive, it is a 2.5" SATA drive:

from an earlier post you can see the difference with an M.2:

• lucausa75
    Options
  • billsey
    Options

No, that is an NVMe drive, not SATA. Try this search instead.

• lucausa75
    Options

I bought Samsung SSD 870 EVO, 1 TB and today I have installed on my PC and it works like a charm!

My PC became like a new with an improvement of the speed

• billsey
    Options

Good news, glad you got it working.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)