An515-43 questions about thermal paste on cpu

Maxfocht
Maxfocht Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter

So I know I ask alot of questions, but I've been having a problem with thermal paste and trying to put it on because each time that I have done it it still heats up pretty bad. And like all the paste when I go to check it seemed to disappear from the center of my CPU only (my GPU has been completed fine and covered ) no matter how much or how little and what I thought was right. And I've cleaned everything off each time I redid it.

First I tried putting a pea size amount/closest in ould get to the photo example and spread it out with a gloved finger, still heated up and stayed hot after game time

Second time I did the same thingand spread it out but put a small dap in the center to like the heatsink push the rest down

Third time I put too little as it heated up alot

And now after googling forever I find a recommended method throught Artic which is the brand I got that says do a line and let the heatsink push it down for AMD processors which is where I am to now

Now I have a cooling fan underneath it and like only where the processors are is still warm now but my nitro sense and core temp say that the temperature is low low like 45c while charging and 30s when not but it always ends up feeling warm and idk what,So I'm not sure what to do since I don't want my computer overheating and I don't trust ebay to order a new heatsink so I got a pretty powerful cooling fan for underneath.

Answers

• JioDino
    JioDino Member Posts: 1 New User

I am not an old member here so probably others will come sooner or later to comment.
    I have tried and tested my laptop on my very own maintenace as the service fee is way too high for just simple steps.

What I tried was changing the thermal paste which I applied Kryonaut.
    Now Context is done let's get on to helping. Try to see if your fan is very dusty, it will help if you clean it thorough. Try to check if your thermal pads are broken or gone. I think every Nitro 5 has thermal pads that is needed as well.
    Now try changing to a better thermal paste (The Pink Kryonaut shall do the trick)
    Lastly, don't rely on the NitroSense temps. I tested NitroSense before but it is actually inaccurate, now I use a software called CoreTemps. Basically NitroSense detects the highest temp in all cores and will just show that one core instead of the CPU 0 or first core which the laptop always uses.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,696 Trailblazer

Thermal paste should be put in a Cross X pattern onto the cpu and gpu and then the thermal module put on top. The problems that you must have is that you probably have the vram pads that are too thick or old and need replacing, that are restricting the cpu especially from making 100% contact with the cpu core of the thermal module, and the core does not make 100% contact with the thermal module heat sink.

Make sure that your thermal pads are nor restricting the main cpu and gpu thermal module contact with the cpu and the gpu, as that is where your problem is, also use the high grade Thermal Grizzly paste and replace the pads as they are the best.

• Emma_
    Emma_ Moderator, Member Posts: 226 Moderator

Hello!!

@Maxfocht

Good thermal paste can have a profound impact on your performance, because it will allow your processor to transfer more of its waste heat to your cooler, keeping your processor running cool. Choosing the best thermal paste is also important . Even often hit slightly higher if they're paired with a good thermal paste Make sure that your thermal pads are nor restricting the main cpu and gpu thermal module contact with the cpu and the gpu.

• Maxfocht
    Maxfocht Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    edited March 2023

I'll try that method next and what size of thermal pads should I get them the ones I got said 1mm? Was that to big?

https://www.reddit.com/r/AcerNitro/comments/o2mw1o/repasting_the_acer_nitro_5_my_experience/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

I also found this saying to use k5 pro to help out since it's close to the original pink pasteI'm not sure I just really want my computer to work correctly

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,696 Trailblazer

Measure the pads that you have approximately, I don't know the exact thickness of these pads, and after buy the same thickness pads.