Bypass ROM in Acer Aspire R3 Series N15W5

AussieBloke
AussieBloke Member Posts: 1 New User

OK, so wife buys a little tablet not knowing it only has a 32g rom, (basicly useless with no internal ability to connect SSD), I would like to add an externall SSD to boot from as I would like to set up a multiboot system (10, X-86 & PrimeOS).

Boots ok into USB with setup on it for the ROM, but I cannot access the external for setup, do I need to somehow unlock the ROM, to be able to boot from the external as even a pre installed OS on the SSD will not even give me half a chance to access something.

This is more of an attempt to try it just for the sake of it and I do not care what flavour of Win I use as 10 takes up too much room leaving no space for the Android systems.

I suppose I could try Easeus to try to combine the ROM and drive, but I would like a better solution if possible.

Joe

AussieBloke

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,933 Trailblazer

See this guie How to Dual Boot PrimeOS as it explains all that you have to do. As the USB does not need the bios to be set to USB for this OS to boot into your laptop.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer

I believe you have one of the Aspire R3-131T models. They support an internal 2.5" SATA drive, so you can put a larger SSD in it. You likely just have the 32GB eMMC soldered to the MB right now.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • anawilliam850
    anawilliam850 Member Posts: 56 Devotee WiFi Icon

It sounds like you are trying to install multiple operating systems on an external SSD and boot from it on a tablet with limited internal storage. Here are a few things to consider:

1. Check if the tablet supports booting from external devices: Some tablets may not have the option to boot from external devices, so you may need to check the manual or contact the manufacturer to see if this is possible.
    2. Check the boot order in BIOS: If the tablet supports booting from external devices, you may need to check the boot order in BIOS to ensure that the external SSD is set as the first boot device. You may also need to enable legacy boot or disable secure boot depending on the operating systems you are trying to install.
    3. Use a boot manager: A boot manager like GRUB can help you set up a multiboot system on a single external SSD. You can install multiple operating systems and configure GRUB to allow you to choose which one to boot into.
    4. Consider using a virtual machine: If you are having trouble getting the tablet to boot from external devices, you could consider using a virtual machine to run the operating systems you want to use. VirtualBox is a popular virtual machine software that you can use to run multiple operating systems on a single device.

As for combining the internal storage with the external SSD using Easeus, this may not be a good idea as it could cause data loss or other issues. It's generally best to keep the internal storage and external storage separate.