how to get my laptop to recognize my external hard drive as separate ?

icanartsorta
icanartsorta Member Posts: 4 New User

in January of this year, my cousin gave me his laptop as a late bday gift

I bought a device to connect a desktop hard drive [ 1tb] and use it as an external so I could save my files off of it

I then connected my bigger hdd and for some reason when I try to put my files onto it I get either my Acer doesn't have enough space or my one drive doesn't have enough space

the hdd is 2TB and I plan to get a 4TB in the next month

how do I get the laptop to see the external as an external?

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,888 Trailblazer

This is a bit confusing 😁 what is the laptops model number that your “cousin gave you?”

Also just to get this correct, you have a 1TB external HDD (is it mechanical 2.5” or an SSD?) that is in an external HDD case? That connects to the laptop with a SATA3 plug from the external case to a USB 3.0 type plug and cord? Or how are you connecting the external HDD?

The confusing part is…

1. the hdd is 2TB and I plan to get a 4TB in the next month - is the 2TB the laptops boot drive
    2. I then connected my bigger hdd - what drive is this?

Are you trying to say that the 2TB is the laptops boot internal drive, and when you connect the external 1TB HDD you “get either my Acer doesn't have enough space or my one drive doesn't have enough space”? Please explain the situation a bit better, as its very confusing 😁

• icanartsorta

im sorry im bad at explaining things

the model # is PH315-52

both the 1tb and the 2tb are HDD's that came from 2 old desktops i own

neither are the laptop's boot drive

the bigger drive is the 2tb, if you look where i talk about buying a device that connects a desktop hard drive as an external, i put 1tb in brackets

this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B9MVWFRG?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

is the device i bought, it turns a 3.5 in hdds into an external hard drive

right now i have the 2tb HDD inside the device but when i try to move my files IE. pictures into it, my laptop tells me either my Acer doesn't have enough space or my one drive doesn't have enough space

• StevenGen
    edited March 2023

The Predator PH315-52 that you have is fitted from Acer oem with a 1x PCIe 3 x4 M.2 drive (it’s got provisions for 2x PCIe 3 x4 drives that perform at 3500MB/s and write at 3500MB/s speeds) and this laptop has NO provisions for an internal 2.5’HDD so you can’t put that 2.5”drive inside this laptop only use it externally. See caption below of the PH315-52 laptops back without the back cover and where the M.2 SSD drives are.

The GODO USB 3.0 to 3.5 Inch Hard Drive Enclosure can have a SATA3 6GB/s max speed 3.5”drive and the reason why you are getting that the drive is full is because it is, you need for both drives to be formatted first, if you don’t have any valuable data i=on these drives or these drives are working 100%?

Those 1TB and 2TB 2.5" HDD that you have from an old desktop and you want to connect to the PH315-52 laptop must be full with data that is the reason why you are getting that warning “Acer doesn't have enough space or my one drive doesn't have enough space

After you have connected either the 1TB 2.5"drive or the 3.5"drive exteranlly in Disk Management then >Right Click on the 1TB or the 2BT drive >chose Format > then in Volume label give it a name like 2.5" or 3.5" HDD, then in File system chose NTFS format then in Allocation unit size chose Default, that is all that you have to do with both the 1TB and 2TB drives and then if these drives are working 100% they should format and work and you will be able to put new data on them without any faults or warnings.

PH315-52s motherboard and 2x M.2 drives position, this laptop does not have provisions for a 2.5" SATA3 drive

• icanartsorta

bro, I didn't say ANYTHING about 2.5" hard drives and idk why you brought them up

I know how to format hard drives and both are formatted

• StevenGen
    edited March 2023

Your problem is that the HDDs are faulty as a working 3.5"HDD should work 100% with this laptop externally with a SATA3 plug to USB 3.0 to the laptop USB side port. Also, old HDDs can have allot of problems and errors and some are just a paper weight as they can't be used. I didn't say that “you didn't know how to format a drive” take it easy as I'm trying to help you😁

• icanartsorta

the 1tb was working as i got the files for it

after i formatted it, it stopped being registered as an external

it comes up in the program i used to format it but not in windows explorer