Acer Aspire A113-32-C97N unable to upgrade to windows 11 and M/S support now says its a BIOS issue

Options
Dave186
Dave186 Member Posts: 3 New User

I have had numerous issues trying to upgrade my laptop to windows 11.

Today I was yet again online with microsoft support to be told to upgrade to windows 11 I need to have BIOS 2021 or later. The list of BIOS updates available to me only goes to 2020.

Do I need to install other drivers and/or the 2020 BIOS to have the 2021 version made available or have M/S support got it wrong?

• - - - - - - - -

Issues so far but a bit of a rant so not necessary for the question, but it might make a few of you smile;)

Had to offload everything from the computer and uninstall pre-installed software I hadn't used to get the 10GB space required. Ran the upgrade but then the update said it needed 400Mb more and I simply couldn't find it.

Nex step to install from an external source. Unble to burn the iso file to a USB because option from M/S was not available and too big for standard DVD's (Yes I have an external DVD drive)

After sourcing the dual layered DVD's the10Gb space has reduced to less than 5Gb and so I couldn't download the file to burn so contacted M/S support.

Quick assist would not start, web version of quick assist would not connect, proposal was to reset laptop and re-try as this should free-up space.

Reset needed more space than was available, but I managed to remove something else and was able to start it. It ran and then failed so backed out but enough space was freed up so I was able to download the file for burning.

Burn seemed to run to completion but verrification said "disc burning error code 0x80004005" or access denied to something. #️⃣I just thought but is it possible the access denied is for the software to access the ISO file?#️⃣

Search for help said to edit start-up for a clean boot so only key system programs are running. Went to msconfig and step 1 was to disable non microsoft files but it hung trying to apply them, repeatedly.

contacted M/S again and again unable to connect remotely but todays agent asked about system settings and has proposed I need the BIOS update.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options

Unless and until your model appears on the Win11 compatibility chart at this link, your hardware does not meet the current Win11 requirements., Updates to BIOS firmware or driver software would not affect this hardware limitation. Sorry.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

Are you sure it's a A113-32? I don't see that as a model number…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Dave186
    Options

Hi Billsey,

Doh! =(:(|)

My mistake. Should have read A114-32 and yes JackE the correct number is on the list.

• JackE
    Options

Try setting and saving a BIOS supervisor password in the Security tab. Then reenter the BIOS with the password and disable secure boot. If your relying on limited capacity boot drive and more space is needed for the installation, this can often be overcome by inserting a 16GB or 32GB ntfs formatted sdcard which the instaallation program will use to store temporary files needed to complete the installation.

Jack E/NJ

• Dave186
    Options

I'm sorry but I don't understand how setting a BIOS suervisor password gets me to the latest version of BIOS?

I have also been doing some other reading up about the DVD I burnt with the ISO file that verrified with errors. The consensus seems to be it is probably OK and so would it not be safer to try that first or will the BIOS issue still be there?

• JackE
    Options

Sorry, suggestions were meant to try to install Win11 with the latest available BIOS firmware v1.24 for the A114-32 which you apparently have already installed. Despite Microsoft claims, there currently is no later version though it might appear at some future time. Since we're not Acer employees or service representatives on these user forums, we have no way of knowing if or when any further firmware updates will be available. So you have to keep checking the download site for updates like the rest of us users.

If it was mine, I would not try to install Win11 unless and until the download page also has Acer Win11 device drivers available. The reason being that, while the machine should run Win11, some devices like wifi or graphics may not run well or at all like they do with Win10

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

You don't need to update the bios. This model is compatible with Windows 11:

You can perform a cold install by clicking here:

https://www.microsoft.com/pt-br/software-download/windows11

However, I would back up the operating system provided by acer first, to avoid problems:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

Yes, the person at Microsoft was just punting so they wouldn't have to spend more time with you. No need for a BIOS update to install W11 on your machine. Something else is going on. Where does the upgrade fail and what errors does it generate? Anything in the log files?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.