How do you replace a battery in a Chromebook Spin 713 CP713-2W?

jf2816
jf2816 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in Chromebooks

I have a CP713-2W-5874 Chromebook, and trying to replace the battery. I have the new battery installed and I know it has a full charge. But laptop does not turn on with new battery. It works with old battery, and with AC power.

Is there a step I am missing to get the new battery working?

Thanks.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,809 Trailblazer

How do you know the new battery has a full charge?

Jack E/NJ

• jf2816
    jf2816 Member Posts: 2 New User

Problem solved. Had a bad replacement battery.

I had to have the AC adapter plugged into the laptop, then connect the battery. This seemed to be the only way to get the Chromebook to turn on with a new battery installed. Battery level showed a full charge, and the power button turned blue when fully charged. When I disconnected the ac charger, the laptop would work initially, but when I would close the lid, and reopened it, the laptop never came back on.

I did purchase a 2nd battery, and was able to get the laptop to consistently shut down and turn on with the new battery installed.

Thanks.

• JackE

Congrats. Thanks for reporting back on the bad replacement battery.

Jack E/NJ

• BigG422
    BigG422 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Was the battery an OEM Acer one or third party? Where did you buy it from?

• Timxjr1300
    Timxjr1300 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I'm having the same problem so a good battery would be very helpful. Where did you get it from?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,640 Trailblazer

Search on these part numbers:

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE

Acer doesn't make batteries. Get them from various manufacturers. They're pretty generic. Usually cheaper from vendors who ship to your location by simply googling your laptop model number & battery as keywords rather than using the Acer part no.

Jack E/NJ

• BigG422
    BigG422 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

I bought the 8k one and it was ACER. I thought it had finally fixed itself as I left it plugged in for a while and when I unplugged it, it was giving me the estimated time left along with the percentage. It worked perfectly and it got down to 10% today and I was going to plug it in but by the time I got my charger, may 2 minutes max, it dropped down to 3% percent and then just died. Unfortunately it AGAIN did the thing where it would not turn back on even when plugged in. So I had to unplug the battery, plug the charger in, then reconnect the battery and then it would turn on. I can tell, however, that the battery capacity is way higher as it took about 3 days for it to be completely go down to that level and the time remaining was pretty accurate. ts just insane how this can be an issue that seems fairly widespread given not just this forum but other forums/reddit as well.

• JackE

Try harder to avoid allowing the battery to drop below the critical 5% level. It can ruin even a new battery if it drops below 5% too many times.

Jack E/NJ