my computer has become very slow High Disk Usage 100% please help

Options
piolooj
piolooj Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in Windows 11

So my computer has become very slow and unresponsive at times, it is because of disk usage at 100%, I have tried many things like disabling SysMain, disable certain startup programs, and nothing has worked. I am on Windows 11.

[Edited the content to add issue detail]

Answers

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 11,419 Trailblazer
    Options

Hi @piolooj Please tell us what the exact model of the equipment is.
    Is your drive an HDD or SSD?
    The problem you pose may be due to a read error on the disk if it is an HDD or have a virus/malware.
    If the disk is an HDD, download the following security scanner from Microsoft, you just have to run it, it will not be installed on the system and it is compatible with other antivirus you have installed:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/security/intelligence/safety-scanner-download?view=o365-worldwide

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (Twitter)

• piolooj

Tinkerer

Options

My drive is an HDD, I will try to run the scanner

• piolooj

Tinkerer

Options

I have installed the scanner, but it says an error has occured when I try to run the app.

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 11,419 Trailblazer
    Options

Please download the 64bit version.

If the disk is HDD, do a test to know the physical state.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (Twitter)

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

It would help a lot oif yoou told us what computer you have. That it has an HDD points to low memory causing the extreme slowdown, but without knowing what your processor, what type and size of memory and other factors that are different on different models we can't really make any constructive suggestions. Your full model number is usually on the same sticker as your serial number, it should look something like xxxxx-xxx-xxxx.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • vijaymohanraj
    vijaymohanraj Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options

Hi @piolooj

Try

Acer - PC SmartCare (you get 30days free trial to tune-up your PC)

There was an error displaying this embed.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,240 Trailblazer
    Options

Don't tinker with Sysmain or any other system file, instead run these 2 commands in a Command Prompt opened as Administrator:

Dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

followed by (Open a new Command Prompt)

SFC /scannow

This will refresh your system files. If Dism won't run/start (you must be online for this command) try again, if it hangs for hours you need to Reset your Windows system or if your 100% Disk usage happened recently after a download, restore your system to an earlier point.

If SFC ends with error found but repaired some, run SFC again and again till you have no more errors (No file integrity found)