Acer Nitro 5 - AN517-41- RAM Question, I've just upgraded my RAM with the following stick

iamstane
iamstane Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in Nitro Gaming

So, I've just upgraded my RAM with the following stick - https://www.kingston.com/unitedkingdom/en/memory/gaming/kingston-fury-impact-ddr4-memory?speed=2666mt%2Fs&total%20(kit)%20capacity=32gb&kit=kit%20of%202&dram%20density=16gbit

Now, stupidly, I selected 1x 32GB (not 2x 16GB) - But lets ignore that for a second.
I've installed the RAM successfully, it's running lovely at 32GB…

I decided to open the laptop back up and put in one of the 8GB sticks that was originally installed, along side the 32GB stick.
Booted it up and ran CPU-Z and it's running at 40GB.

I assumed, based on the spec of the laptop, that max is 32GB?
Why is it allowing me to install and run 32GB?

Going back to my first comment - I wanted 2x 16GB for obvious reasons - So now I'm thinking I may try buying another 32GB stick and seeing if I can hit 64GB?

I've recently done a BIOS update so not sure if thats enabling anything… But be interesting to know someone with a bit more knowledge, internally, about these laptops?

Thanks

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 11,368 Trailblazer

Hi @iamstane waiting for more answers that can solve your question since in my case my knowledge of hardware is not that deep, on the laptop's page, the latest BIOS version is from 2022/09/27 but there is no information on the changes or improvements that it incorporates:

https://www.acer.com/us-en/support?search=AN517-41&filter=global_download

With the two 8GB+32GB modules, how much is recognized in BIOS?
    And in Windows?

As you already know, the maximum memory supported according to the motherboard manufacturer is 32GB and the theory says that it will not be able to manage two 32GB modules, but you can try and make sure that you can return the new module in case the motherboard does not support it.

Greetings.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (Twitter)

• iamstane

Thanks for your reply. I didnt check the memory recognised in BIOS, only CPU-Z - I'll check it tomorrow and come back to you

• iamstane

Right, took the laptop apart again this morning and added the 8GB stick of RAM.

Booted into BIOS and this is what I have…

So, it's detected the additional 8GB…
    Now I'm starting to think it will accept an additional 32GB stick to take me to 64GB - Whilst I do appreciate this is a considerable jump from 8GB…

Thoughts?

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 11,368 Trailblazer
    edited March 2023

I can't confirm it, but I think it won't recognize 64GB, I hope I could be wrong, let us know if you do the test, thanks.
    A cordial greeting.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (Twitter)