Predator PT516-51s is no longer ballanced and is rubbing on the housing, replacement fan

fanBroke
fanBroke Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in Predator Laptops

The single fan, not the dual ones, on my Predator PT516-51s is no longer ballanced and is rubbing on the housing. This is causing a horrible noise and has already chipped a couple of the blades. I can not find a replacement online and my warranty went out in December 2022. Does anyone know where to get a replacement fan. There is a number on the fan 1504FPR.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,477 Trailblazer

The single fan, not the dual ones

1. What do you mean by single fan?
    2. Should be one fan for the CPU and one fan for the GPU? Which one?
    3. What GPU do you have? RTX3060? RTX3070? RTX3080?

Jack E/NJ

• fanBroke
    edited March 2023
    1. My laptop has 3 fans. There is a single fan on one side and a housing with two fans on the other.
    2. I believe it is the CPU fan. I left it disconnected once and the temp shot up on the CPU while the GPU stayed normal
    3. I have the RTX3070

I've found a replacement for the whole cooling unit but it seems to be out of stock everywhere.
    https://www.compupartsolutions.com/acer/24.q50n1.001?sort=p.price&order=ASC&page=12&limit=100

• JackE

The fan itself should be a commodity item. Usually operates at 5vdc. Probably 80mm. New fan blades are available too as they're usually simply pressed on the rotor's shaftpin Can you easily remove it from the thermal module and post a phone photo?

Jack E/NJ

• fanBroke

Here is the fan.

• JackE

Looks like a centrifugal impeller fan for liquid, not air cooling. Your model looks like it has coolant heat exchangers surrounding the fan compartments, So a normal axial flow fan for air cooling probably won't work too well.

Since Acer only supplies the fans as a complete thermal module (part no 24.QAJN2.001 for the 3070GPU) you may be able to shop for a suitable centrifugal fan replacement from this list at this link. There are many to try to match with what you have

Jack E/NJ

• fanBroke

Thanks for the link! Hopefully I can find something that works.

• JackE

I can see only one impeller blade that looks like it could cause create imbalance. What else seems broken?

Jack E/NJ

• fanBroke

That pic was from when I first took the fan apart. That bent blade broke completely off when I tried to straighten it out and two other are chipped as well. Those chipped ones broke after I put everything back together and they were still hitting the metal housing. The plastic on these fans is very brittle.

• JackE

»»The plastic on these fans is very brittle.»»

Yes, they do look flimsy. If it was mine, I'd look for some other more-substantial centrifugal fan with the same diameter on the Aliexpress options. I don't think it needs to be as efficient with so many fragile impellers like that. I'd even be reluctant to replace the entire thermal module because the impeller blades in the new replacement are probably just as flimsy.

Jack E/NJ