Acer Swift X SFX14-41G will not charge, how to fix?

DamonWu
DamonWu Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in Swift and Spin Series

Hello, my Acer Swift X ( SFX14-41G ) will not charge when plugged in with a USB-C charger or the default barrel type charger the laptop came with. The battery is detected and but requires it to be plugged in to be turned on. I have tried unpluging the battery, reseting the battery ( with the button in the pin hole on the bottom of the laptop) and tried various solutions I found online like uninstalling the “Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery” in device manager and scaning for hardware changes, none of them managed to fix my problem. I am totally at an loss right now. Please help me, thank you!

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 13,002 Trailblazer

Hi @DamonWu everything seems to indicate that the battery is in poor condition since you have carried out all the procedures to try to wake it up.
    What color does the charging led show?
    Does the led blink?
    Does the laptop have many hours of use and charges?
    Greetings.

• Haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si se resolvió, ¡gracias!
    • Colaborador pro bono, no trabajo ni hablo en nombre de Acer
    • Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as solution if it was solved, thanks!
    • Pro bono contributor, I do not work or speak on behalf of Acer
    • MVP de MSFT (2003-21) & Windows Insider & (alezmvp)
  • DamonWu

The charging LED is a solid blue color. And I believe to have own this laptop for around 2 years, this is mainly for college use so there are frequent charges and many hours of use, but I don't believe it would be a battery condition problem. Before today it would still be able to hold around 8-6 hours charge depending on the usage. It was when I plugged it in that I noticed it didn't charge at all. Even if it would be a battery problem, shouldn't the battery still be able to hold some charge?

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 13,002 Trailblazer

The useful life of the battery is measured by the number of charges, depending on these the battery can last only a couple of years or many more, although I am not saying that this is the case, I also think that two years is a short time for a battery and You would also know that something is wrong when the battery discharges more quickly or is not capable of charging to 100% and this did not happen.

The fixed blue led, in principle, does not indicate a problem with the battery itself.

If it is not a battery problem, it could be the laptop's internal charging system, in any case this should be verified by a technical service.
    Does the laptop still have warranty?

Greetings.

• Haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si se resolvió, ¡gracias!
    • Colaborador pro bono, no trabajo ni hablo en nombre de Acer
    • Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as solution if it was solved, thanks!
    • Pro bono contributor, I do not work or speak on behalf of Acer
    • MVP de MSFT (2003-21) & Windows Insider & (alezmvp)
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,507 Trailblazer
    edited March 2023

You have a battery rest button under a pinhole on the bottom of your laptop. Assuming the battery is just being confused as to it's real state go through the full reset procedure and see if that clears it up.

Disconnect everything from the laptop with it powered off, including the power supply. Flip it over and use something like a SIM tool or bent paperclip to press and hold the reset button for 15-30 seconds. Release the button and wait long enough to drink a nice cup of coffee or tea. Reconnect only the charger and wait for the full battery indication again, then try turning it on. If it runs on battery at this point allow Windows to run on battery onlyu until it shuts down due to low battery, reconnect the charger and let it charge full again before turing it back on. If you do the latter couple of steps multiple times Windows will also get recalibrated to show better numbers for battery life.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • DamonWu

I do not think I have the warranty, since when I purchased this laptop it was through ebay and the condition was open box.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,507 Trailblazer

Darn, often we have people who have just clicked the reset button and haven't gone though the full process. Unfortunately both the DC-In jack and the USB-C port are soldered to the motherboard, so it's not an issue with them physically. Likely it's either the battery itself or the motherboard's charging circuit.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • maxskippy
    maxskippy Member Posts: 1 New User

I had an issue with my Swift x 41g where the laptop would stop charging when in use and also when shut down. The problem seemed to increase over time. I ended up taking the battery out and put it aside for a week. When i plugged it back in, the issue seems to have been corrected. I think one of my chargers may not be giving the correct power because when the gpu was in use the problem seemed to manifest.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,973 Trailblazer

It could be a combination of the adapter power plug/DC port contact failure and the USB-C charger not being powerful enough, I don't believe in two ports that are failing at the same time. What is the Watt output of your USB-C charger, if less than 90-Watt I would give one of these USB-C chargers a try: https://www.zdnet.com/article/best-usb-c-laptop-charger/