help with ram? how would i place the ram sticks? po3- 640 (i7-12700f, 3070)

Options
atiram
atiram Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in Predator Desktops

dont know if more info is needed?

im asking, because there are so many different models of the predators, and the answer seem to hange depending on the intel type and generation.

motherboard Arteon B660

the speed is 3200
and its ddr4

from the store page it was bought from it says max ram is 64gb
on the crucial.uk page it says i can go up to 128gb
(i dont need that much, but id like to know if i could)

what do i have to look for when getting ram?
udimm? profile? ,…brand ?

how would i place the ram sticks?
could i get two 64 gbs?
or would it be better to go for 4 32 sticks ? (if i were to max it out)?

ive seen the form below for setup up to 64 gb,…but im scared to ef it up if i try figure it out on my own, so asking for help from ppl who know more about this than what i do:)

i see some ppl writing about xmp, i dont know what that is-

i dont wanna overclock or anything like that.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    Options

This is from the official Acer PO3-640 SG memory specs and what ram modules they recommend for this desktop, use the population chart and the DIMMs picture below of what is DIMM #1 to #4 as its shown clearly in the eManual like you have above to populate the 4x DIMM slots, don’t use XMP ram as its an overclocked ram that does not work with this desktop, only use the Acer suggested ram modules below at the fastest DDR4-3200MHz as its the fastest.

PO3-640 DIMMs numbers

Note: Crucial suggests 128GB max total into the PO3-640s 4x DIMMs slots and they guaranteee their scan, so you can do a Crucial System Scan and use their ram modules, those are the choices you have.

• atiram

Tinkerer

Options

i did do a crucial scan, as mentioned in my first post- and it did say i could have 128gb.

but say if i want to have 64 gb,..would the only option then hbe to have 4 x 16?

its not possible to have 2 x 32?

• jerryjhon
    jerryjhon Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Sure, I can assist you with information on RAM for a computer with the following specs: PO3-640 (i7-12700F, 3070).

Assuming that "PO3-640" refers to the computer model, the type of RAM you need will depend on the motherboard installed in the computer.

Based on the specs you provided, the i7-12700F processor supports DDR4 RAM with a maximum speed of 3200 MHz. The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 graphics card does not affect the type of RAM you need, but it is a high-performance graphics card that can benefit from fast RAM speeds.

It's important to note that the amount of RAM you need will depend on the type of tasks you plan to perform on the computer. For general use, 16 GB of RAM should be sufficient. However, if you plan to use the computer for demanding tasks such as video editing or gaming, 32 GB or more of RAM may be necessary.

In summary, to determine the type of RAM you need for your PO3-640 (i7-12700F, 3070) computer, you should check the motherboard specifications and purchase DDR4 RAM with a maximum speed of 3200 MHz. Additionally, consider the amount of RAM you need based on the tasks you plan to perform on the computer.

• atiram

Tinkerer

Options

i bought it for gaming
    motherboard is: Arteon B660

would this ram fit?
    https://www.komplett.no/product/1192133/datautstyr/pc-komponenter/minnebrikker/kingston-fury-beast-ddr4-3200mhz-64gb?_gl=1*iwpbv1*_up*MQ..&gclid=Cj0KCQiApKagBhC1ARIsAFc7Mc4MPBNTtl9KOjpecgGP7sbQ8IQwlWOFdWaWkxhRKfmIIMAsYz_yFwIaAqLTEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#
    Kingston FURY Beast DDR4 3200MHz 64GB

it looks like there is already kingston fury in, but 2 x 8 gb

but on the websop page it says those are xmp ready,..and half the ppl on these forums says to avoid xmp,..andt he other half says to go for it,… so i dont know what to do

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

That memory will run at 2666 in your system. Though the PO3-640 BIOS seems to support XMP memory, reports from the field all say it does not work in XMP mode. so stick with actual 3200 memory, not XMP memory overclocked to 3200.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • atiram

Tinkerer

Options

i dont know what “an actual 3200” is

all the sticks here in norway seem to be xmp

• Quick420
    Quick420 Member Posts: 40 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options

I have found some ram that will run at 3200mhz without xmp at 1.2 volts,I will be receiving it tommorrow afternoon and will update the thread with results and a link where to purchase it.I just want to be 100% sure it works first.

• Quick420
    Quick420 Member Posts: 40 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited March 2023
    Options

Ok I got the ram installed and it works at 3200mhz !!! So here's my results with my memory upgrades using 3dmark Firestrike DX11 as a benchmarking tool(cpu/memory intensive synthetic benchmark).With 2400mhz ram I got a score of 19,600…..with 2666mhz I got a score of 22.400 and with 3200mhz I got a whopping 24,100 score! The numbers are rounded off,but there was a constant improvement in speed in games and overall system responsiveness,very happy. https://www.directdial.com/ca/item/kingston-valueram-8gb-ddr4-sdram-memory-module/kvr32n22s8-8

• atiram

Tinkerer

Options

bumping this up as im wondering if there are any updates on the xmp situation when it comes to this pc.
    can you still not use it? i have not upgraded my ram yet, but getting some sticks this xmas, so thought it was about time to do a chep up here.
    it can hold up to 128
    is it confirmed more than 64 gb ram can be used? i seem to recall someone said it can hold up to 128,…but when i contacted acer about it they said absolutley not. so does anyone out there have 128 ram going in their setup?

• billsey
    Options

I don't believe there are any plans to support XMP overclocking on any of the PO3 models. They do support it on the newer PO5 and PO7 models, but not on the lower end systems.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Vmpknight
    Vmpknight Member Posts: 4 New User
    edited February 24
    Options

i know this thread is bit old but. on my po3-640 i am using xmp perfectly fine and am able to overclock in the bios. so there is support for the po3 models just wanted to say. also it was not working for me originally but i updated my bios and now both stick work at 3200mhz overclocked perfectly fine.

• billsey
    Options

Yes, they have updated the BIOS on those newest models since the thread was opened.

• atiram

Tinkerer

Options

so this means that now we can use XMP ram aswell at full speed (3200) having the xmp enabled ?

is there any official statements in regards to this?

its only two months since i got new ram now, last time i asked about this was in november 2023- but since the options of 3200 thats not xmp is so limited i had to order from another country.

how recent are these changes?

• William_mk2
    Options

@atiram

I would like to provide some additional info which will really help you. 

Kindly go through the details given below.  The info provided below will be very helpful to get the current memory and ssd details of your computer and the options to upgrade it.  

Please visit the website given below.  There is an option to  "start your scan "  and " select your computer " .  Please chose the options and try it.  It will show you the memory and SSD’s details and the best upgrade options for you.. 

https://www.crucial.com/

It will tell you what you currently have and what you can add for memory and SSD's. 

Note: If you decide to buy you can always compare the prices by visiting other websites or stores and then you can decide.  We are providing the info of scan app just to show you the upgrade options.  You can even download similar scan apps from other memory upgrade websites too. 

To check the compatibility of ram which you can use on your computer.. Get CPUz and check it with that in SPD section of all the RAM and specs that you have, its a quick and simple way to check all OEM specs and what you have in your system. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• billsey
    Options

No, if you put XMP ram in and still have the original non-XMP memory installed, the XMP memory will force the entire system to slow down to the base speed of the XMP. In order to use XMP in overclocked mode, to get the 3200MHz, you need to have all memory in the system XMP.

• atiram

Tinkerer

Options

so you need to have all the ram sticks me xmp to use xmp ram?
    even if the other stick you have is 3200MHz already?

so when you get more ram, you need to upgrade all the ram if i understand it correctly then.

but when was this change implemented?

• billsey
    Options

That has been the case from the very beginning. XMP overclocking can only be done on a system wide basis, not on individual sticks, so to use it all memory needs to be XMP enabled.