How can I upgrade my Acer Predator G3-710 AG5W2

Options
ben312323
ben312323 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

So I have a pretty old pc, I've gotten an SSD and upgraded the ram but I'm looking to upgrade the CPU.. I've heard that they may solder the CPU and GPU so it can't be replaced, is this true? If not, what are some compatible CPUS ? Sorry, not too familiar with pcs

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    edited March 2023
    Options

The G3-710 has a 7th gen cpu and it either comes standard with an i7-7700K or a i5 7600K cpu, its max ram is 64GB into its 4x slots and you can upgrade all 4x slots with max 4x 16GB-DDR4-3200CL=22 • NON-ECC • UDIMM • 288-pin • 1.2V • 2Rx8/1Rx8 • PC4-25600 type DIMMs (as they are the quickest ram) make sure you only upgrade to CL22 type ram and not an overclocked XMP type ram as it won’t work, do the Crucial System Scan as that is a good guide for ram upgrades.

The boot drive should be a 1TB M.2 SATA 3.0 drive and you can use either a mechanical or an SSD 2.5" slave drive also. You can also upgrade the GPU as this desktop has a PSU of 730W and a PCIe x16 port that comes standard with either an NVidia GTX1080/1070/1060 card, which can be upgraded and I suggest that you fit an RTX-3070 Ti GPU card, which can be bought at a good price (needs a 600W GPU) and is a good performer and will give you a 60% graphics performance improvement over the GTX1080. The overall upgrade of all these components will improve your desktops overall performance by at least 150%. Good luck and hope this helps you out, btw you cant run Win-11 on this desktop even after all these updates, so be aware if you invest in this desktop for an upgrade.

• ben312323

Tinkerer

Options

I have a GTX 950 and an i5 5600, I think you're looking at the wrong thing. Also is my CPU and GPU upgradable?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

Are you sure it's a Predator G3-710? Those are usually 7th gen, though the earliest (AG3-710) were 6th gen and a 5th gen CPU won't work with either of them.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • billsey
    Options

Then I don't see how it could have a 5th gen chipset in it, unless someone replaced the motherboard.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ben312323

Tinkerer

Options

Ohh, sorry… its the i5-6400. Will i be able to upgrade either cpu/gpu?

• billsey
    Options

You can take the CPU up to the other 6th gen that have the same TDP, so the i7-6700 is likely the top end. You won't see much difference in system perfromance with that upgrade. For GPUs you can likely go anywhere your pocketbook supports. My personal preference on a 6th gen system is to not push past the 10 or 16 series (so like the 1060 or 1660). Both are an improvement on your 9 series without moving beyond the rest of the components.

• ben312323

Tinkerer

Options

okayy.. I play a fps game thats cpu bound where my fps drops below my monitors refresh rate.. would it be more worth to upgrade the gpu so i can use gsync or upgrade the cpu for the performance thanks:)

• billsey
    Options

The GPU would be a better option. Not really for Freesync or G-Sync, but for the extra rendering horsepower. That would be offloaded to the GPU instead of using the CPU.