Have 3 Gbps FTTH. Is it possible to upgrade the network adapter in my Aspire TC-1660?

AppFric
AppFric Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello.

I have an Acer Aspire TC-1660 desktop (Model Name: TC-1660 | Part Number: DT.BGVAA.001)

I've just upgraded my internet speed to 3 Gbps (Bell Gigabit Fibe 3.0 plan) . The Bell modum (Giga Hub) comes with a 10 G ethernet port with 1 G, 2.5 G, 5 G and10 G options. However, the TC-1660 doesn't support more than 1 G speed (Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller)

I've read that PCIe x4 cards can be up-plugged into PCIe x16 slots.

Here's my question(s): Is it possible to use the TC-1660 desktop's free PCIe x16 slot to install a 10 Gb network adapter/ethernet card that will give me the 3 Gbps speed I'm getting to my home? Would that work? I already have an appropriate ethernet cable (CAT6a)

I was looking at this card (as an example): Asus XG-C100C 10G Network Adapter PCI-E x4 Card with Single RJ-45 Port

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,777 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Should work if the socket is empty since it's PCIe-4 x 16 lane. The other PCIe-3 x 1 lane socket won't

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓

Should work if the socket is empty since it's PCIe-4 x 16 lane. The other PCIe-3 x 1 lane socket won't

Jack E/NJ

• AppFric

Hey, Jack,

Thanks so much for replying.

That's excellent news. I'll order the piece now and I'll post back again with my results after I've installed the piece.

Cheers!

• JackE

OK. Good luck with it. Also like to see what the up/download speedtests actually show.

Jack E/NJ

• AppFric

Hello, Jack

It's a success. The Asus XG-C100C 10G network card works perfectly.

Slipped it into the PCIe x16 slot, added the drivers, plugged in a CAT6a cable and presto bingo….3.2 Gbps bandwidth!

Thanks tons for your info and support, Jack. It's much appreciated.

Cheers!

AF

• JackE

Congrats. Thanks for reporting back on your success! 🙂

Jack E/NJ