please publish motherboard of Aspire TC-1780

Options
Radek1973
Radek1973 Member Posts: 4 New User

Could you, please publish motherboard of TC-1780 (i5-13400)?

I am interested in:
Number of RAM slots
Number of SATA slots (how many ocupied)
Number of SATA power slots (how many ocupied and are slots equiped with cables?)
Number of free 2.5 and 3.5 bays for internal disks.

Regards,
Radek

[Edited the thread to add the issue detail]

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Here's the motherboard:

So, two ram slots (#3), three SATA ports (#7), two SATA power (#6). Depending on the SKU you might get one SATA power cable and you might get two, the Acer part number for the cable is 50.VQED3.001. Here is a picture of the drive mounting plate:

There are mounting holes for two 3.5" drives on the under side of the plate, one (HDD1) sideways from the other. There is also provisions for a thinline DVD drive separate from this plate.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options

The motherboard design only has two DIMM sockets, so you can only install half of the full chipset spec. That means 64GB using two 32GB DIMMs on your system. Here's the spec from Acer's documentation:

Stay away from XMP enabled memory. Since the system doesn't support XMP overclocking that memory will run at it's base speed, typically 2133 or 2400.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options

Here's the motherboard:

So, two ram slots (#3), three SATA ports (#7), two SATA power (#6). Depending on the SKU you might get one SATA power cable and you might get two, the Acer part number for the cable is 50.VQED3.001. Here is a picture of the drive mounting plate:

There are mounting holes for two 3.5" drives on the under side of the plate, one (HDD1) sideways from the other. There is also provisions for a thinline DVD drive separate from this plate.

• mcs51
    mcs51 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi, I don't think you can mount two 3.5"HDD under that plate.
    one 3.5" with orange damping parts for the screws

one 2.5" left of it on your picture

• billsey
    Options

IIRC you can put two 3.5" in, one is sideways from the other.

• Radek1973
    Options

Thank you for specification.

I checked that this PC can run with maximum 32 GB RAM (ACER specifications says that). However CPU (i5-13400) - which controls the RAM - run with maximum 128GB. Could one comment?

Regards,
    Radek

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options

The motherboard design only has two DIMM sockets, so you can only install half of the full chipset spec. That means 64GB using two 32GB DIMMs on your system. Here's the spec from Acer's documentation:

Stay away from XMP enabled memory. Since the system doesn't support XMP overclocking that memory will run at it's base speed, typically 2133 or 2400.

• Radek1973
    Options

Dear Billsey,
    Thank you for information.
    Could you give the link to this information (32GB per DIMM)? Documentation to the Desktop (TC-1780) says only about 32GB in total.

Regards,
    Radek

• billsey
    Options

That snippet is from the service guide, which isn't publicly available. I'm guessing the other documentation uses a cut'n'paste from an older model maybe? SGs for the TC-1780, TC-1770, XC-1780 and N50-650 all say the same with 32GB modules supported instead of just 16GB. As you suggested, the chipset specs also say 32GB per module max.

• Radek1973
    Options

Dear Billsey,

Thank you.
    Just one more question. I am not super familiar with modern hardware. I plan to exchange memory and beside parameters you mentioned in previous posts I see also voltage. There are memories with 1.2V and 1.35V - which will work with my PC (Aspire TC-1780 i5-13400)? Are any pros or cons?

Thank you in advance,

Radek

• billsey
    Options

1.2V vs 1.35V was a DDR3 vs DDR3L thing. Normally DDR4 runs at 1.2V, though overclockers sometimes drive that higher. Not an issue with the TC-1780.