Problems with Acer Predator Triton 500 PT515-51-72G3 after SSD upgrade

Asgaard901
Asgaard901 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in Predator Laptops

Hello,

I own a Acer Predator Triton 500 PT515-51-72G3, which I was very satisfied with, for years it worked without a problem. At the end of 2022 I decided to upgrade the SSD from the original Western Digital PC SN720 NVMe 512GB. I went to a highly rated local repair shop and they recommended me WD BLACK SN850X NVMe 2TB.

At first they installed the new SSD into the second slot and migrated the data along with the OS to the new SSD, while keeping the original SSD in the original slot. After that I started getting BSOD loops. So I went back to the shop and I was told, that it might have been caused by the migration and that I should reinstall Windows to the new drive. I did and that's when the probolem worsened.

After the reinstall, instead of the BSOD loop, the laptop started having problems to turn on. It seems like it turned on (the keyboard lit up), after about 2 seconds, would turn off and then on again. It would not POST, the screen remained black and the fans cranked up to 100%. I could try to turn it on 20 times, but the result would be the same. But after I let it "sit" for a while, the laptop would then sometimes work normally, only to fall back to this problem sooner or later.

Then we tried to switch the OS to the original SSD, while keeping the new SSD in. This did't fix the problem.

Then we took out the original SSD altogether and mounted the new SSD in it's slot, as we suspected a problem with the secondary slot. This wouldn't fix the problem either.

Now we are going to try to "revert the changes", by which I mean taking out the new SSD, putting the original one in it's original slot and observe, whether the problem will dissappear or not. If it will fix the problem, then we'll try to return the new SSD as faulty and perhaps try it again with another 2TB SSD again.

I wanted to share this story, because a simple upgrade of the memory cost me about 6 trips to the repair shop and a whole lot of anger and frustration. I'll post updates about the situation as time will go on, but

I want to ask you, if anyone had experienced something like this and if anyone has any idea, what might cause such problems and how to remedy them?

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,476 Trailblazer

The two preferred ways of doing this are—

Keep the old SN720 as the C boot drive in the same slot and add the new SN850X as the D drive to the second slot. No migration.

OR

Externally migrate the SN720 to the SN850X thru a USB port (slower). Then replace the SN720 with the SN850X. Test SN850X as the C drive by itself in the same slot the old card booted from. If all OK, then add the old card to the second slot as the D drive.

Jack E/NJ